Dedicated Database Server on Secondary IP

tonex

I have a VPS with 2 IPs. My plan is to setup up my domains in the primary IP and all my databases in the secondary IP. I want to restrict traffic to and from my secondary IP except when it's through my primary IP.

Can this be done? How? Thanks in advance.

Hmmm.. 2 questions.

1. How can I take advantage of the 2 IPs assigned to me by my VPS plan? (There must be a reason they hand out 2 IPs.)
2. Are those 2 IPs using separate hardware resources?

Hi tonex,

You are technically correct, you do not necessarily need 2 IPs for your VPS as everything can run off of one with little to no problem. All I have ever done with the second IP is put my second nameserver on it. But you could use it for a dedicated IP for a one of your sites or run SSL on it too.

And no, both IPs are assigned to the same VPS.

Pretty much all VPSs or servers come with a certain number of IPs. Knownhost is generous and gives theirs 2. Doesn't mean you have to use them or do something special with them :)

Thanks, zombie and dan, for your replies. I guess I need another VPS account if I want to separate my db server from my web server.

Thanks, zombie and dan, for your replies. I guess I need another VPS account if I want to separate my db server from my web server.

This is exactly right. Splitting traffic onto different IPs, while everything is still hosted in the same place, wouldn't accomplish what you're looking to do.