Custom software on a VPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oburlaca

Hello,
Along with the standart Apache offered by VPS, I need to install Apache2+ModPerl2 on another port (say 8080). Am I allowed to do that?

I see in your policy that " KnownHost may terminate the account with no refund. if .... a) Use 25% or more of system CPU resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc. d) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons (applies to shared/reseller hosting only). "

I'll need to compile my Apache from sources, and it will use CPU. Also I plan to install an open source search engine that will also require compilation from sources.

And, at last, what if my sites will be popular? it means CPU intensive.

The "25% or more of system CPU resources for longer then 90 seconds." really scares me.

P.S. I have such configuration at a different VPS provider with no problems.

Thanks.

hmmm... I've compiled Apache several times, without any problems... it certainly took more than 90 seconds.

I guess that rule is not in effect when your high usage levels aren't an everyday issue.

I highly suggest you to chat with KH people. I'm sure they will clarify this issue... as one of the most interesting things at a VPS is that you can install what you want.

Good luck!

Thank you, I've addressed my question in the Support area. I'll post here the answer.

To answer your first question, yes, you would be allowed to do that on a VPS.

The key to your second question is "(applies to shared/reseller hosting only)."

I see in your policy that " KnownHost may terminate the account with no refund. if .... a) Use 25% or more of system CPU resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc. d) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons (applies to shared/reseller hosting only).

This is not a factor, and does not apply to a VPS as far as I'm aware, though by the wording in the policy, it does indeed appear that "applies to shared..." is referring to Part D only.

Bryan, thanks for clarification on the "a)" issue.

Regarding "d) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons (applies to shared/reseller hosting only)." some questions:

1. I'll invoke my own perl scripts from crontab. (for example awstats). It seems it's a "stand-alone, unattended server-side process"

2. Besides my second Apache on 8080 (that is a daemon), I'll probably have another daemon=search engine.

I wonder what to do in this situations.

Hello oburlaca,

The passage you're talking about is for the KH shared and reseller packages, not the VPS packages. As Bryan said, it's not a factor and you should be able to do what you're asking with no problems.

Hope that helps

KHTOS said:
11. Resource Usage
  • a) Use 25% or more of system CPU resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
  • b) Use of any kind of distributed computing software, including but not limited to SETI@home, Node Zero and Folding@home
  • c) Run any type of interactive real-time chat applications that require server resources. Remotely-hosted services are fully allowed (applies to shared/reseller hosting only).
  • d) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server. This includes any and all daemons (applies to shared/reseller hosting only).
  • e) Run any software that interfaces with an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network.
  • f) Run any file sharing, bit torrent or other P2P network services, client or server software.
  • g) Run any gaming servers such as counter-strike, half-life, battlefield 1492, etc

Notice what is it bold. Those bullets only apply to shared/reseller hosting plans.

I've received an email from Joel at KH,
------
Thanks for the email. I did read the post on our forum by you and what your asking to do in a VPS is okay. We do allow customers to burst the CPU but they can't do it consistently or this degrades the service for other customers on the same server. If you have any specific questions please let us know. We would be happy to assist.
------
Now I'm assured that everything will be ok!.
Thank you all, I've signed for a KH VPS yesterday, already configuring it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.