cPanel "Security Error" when accessing

LeMarque

I'm trying to eliminate this error when logging into cPanel. At least with FireFox it gives a warning but with IE it gives that threatening "There is a Problem with..." screen.

What to do?

Attachments

• securityerror.jpg
    securityerror.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 17
The domain name on the certificate needs to match the domain name you're using to access cPanel.

Thanks khiltd

Isn't this normally the hostname? Like "mango.mydomain.com" because it's the shared ip KH says to point cPanel users to and with me it resolves to my hostaname.

Looks like the only way to avoid the warning is to purchase a Wildcard cert :(

There's no "usually" involved, really; when you buy (or create) a certificate you supply one name. If the name you supplied doesn't match what's in the browser's address field then you're going to get that warning.

There's no "usually" involved, really; when you buy (or create) a certificate you supply one name.

As khiltd said, you supply the name when you order your certificate. I have no idea how you do it with the company you used, but it should have asked when you purchased the certificate.

Are we even talking about a purchased certificate, or the default certificate like when you go to the cPanel https (2087) page, or what?

Https is :2083

and ALL I'm trying to figure out is wheter to purchasse the Cert. for my hostname "secure.mydomain.com" because thats what the IP resolves to.

I think I'm going to try a free 30 day cert from RapidSSL and test out.

Seems unusual that those that have worked this out can't say what they've done ...

The two chunks of text you painted over in your screenshot need to match if you want to make that dialog go away. Nobody can give you any more specific instructions unless they can read what's currently there.

It seems equally unusual that you keep asking the same question no matter how many times it's answered. The two chunks of text you painted over in your screenshot need to match if you want to make that dialog go away. Nobody can give you any more specific instructions unless they can read what's currently there.

//edit

Never Mind.

The way around this is to enter:

https://secure.domain.com:2083/

instead of the ip address.

Sheesh...

I don't see any answer. The main Shared Ip that it used to access cPanel is SOMEIP and my host name is secure.domain.com

In WHM the "Manage Service Certificates" shows the hostname for cPanel/WHM/Webmail Service

What makes my setup any different than any other KH cPanel VPS?

LeMarque,

It's not any different. If you access cPanel using the server name like you just said then you won't get the error. If you or a client of yours tries to access it via a domain name hosted on your server then it will come up. It's not that big a deal you just hit ok and keep on going.

LeMarque,

It's not any different. If you access cPanel using the server name like you just said then you won't get the error. If you or a client of yours tries to access it via a domain name hosted on your server then it will come up. It's not that big a deal you just hit ok and keep on going.

I'm about to kick the dog. It, "using the server name" works with FF but not IE7 and undoubtably a good numer of people will use IE.

So here's the question again but with an IE7 gotcha:

Do I purchase a WildCard cert for mydomain.com so that when a user tries to access cPanel via secure.domain.com they won't get a warning from IE? I've been all over the M$ IE forum and I couldn't find anyone that has a workaround for a shared SSL. I'm concerned now that even a WildCard cert won't fix the IE problem.

Just to say, my adding to my frustration, is that I can't believe I'm the only one at KH trying to fix this issue

If you want a more specific answer then post a legible screenshot and someone can walk you through the process step-by-step.

This isn't so much a technical problem as it is a reading comprehension problem. If you want a more specific answer then post a legible screenshot and someone can walk you through the process step-by-step.

And another just to say, because I have my own paranoid reasons :eek:
I'm going to ask the mod to remove the actual hostname I posted. Sometimes Google isn't your friend.

Attachments

• securityerror.jpg
    securityerror.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 11
Well to try and put this one to bed, I didn't realize a Cert could be pruchased for a subdomain; but apparently it can. I thought a cheapo RapidSSL for $12.00 could only be used on www.mydomain.com or mydomain.com not on my.domains.com. So I don't need a wildcard cert after all.

Anyway, it seems all one needs to do, if one wants to, is purchase a RapidSSL or such for my.hostname.com, install it and the dreaded IE Security Warning goes away.

***Flame Off***

You are correct. You can purchase a SSL cert. for an individual subdomain. The wildcard certs., on the other hand, cover all subdomains, etc.

Well, had this in the back of my mind and it turnsout to be a 'gotcha'.

The cert requires a dedicated IP
awww.webhostingtalk.com_images_smilies_frown.gif

So since this is meant to be to cure the issue with my shared hosting users getting the security warning, seems like a WildCard Cert is what's required.

Or am I once again overlooking the obvious?

Your users will either have to access their cPanels through the domain name you purchased the certificate for or live with the dialogs. A wildcard cert will match *.host.com, not *.*.*

//edit

ya know, I think I'm just going to send them to :2082 instead of :2083

In order of confusion:

If a certificate (any of them) require a dedicated ip (how do thay know that its a dedicated ip anyway) and KH assigned one of my ip's
Main VPS IP Address:
when I first signed up; I'm at a loss to see how its possible even with a wildcard cert for my hostname since its a shared ip.

If a certificate (any of them) require a dedicated ip (how do thay know that its a dedicated ip anyway)

"thay" don't know or care what your IP is, Apache and the user's browser do. The purpose of SSL certificates is security, and if it were possible for any host to masquerade as any other host they liked then they would be utterly useless and no one would bother.