Considering a 2nd VPS

Gimpy

Greetings,

I have been very happy with the performance and support I've found at Knownhost so I'm considering another VPS account.

I currently have a cPanel account at another host that's on a simple shared server. That cPanel account also contains a couple of addon domains, which are mainly used for email.

My question: Can the entire cPanel account there be moved to a VPS here, with my addon domains and associated email accounts, staying intact?

After the move to VPS here, I would then migrate those addon domains to their own accounts.

Thanks!

~Gimpy

Greetings,

I have been very happy with the performance and support I've found at Knownhost so I'm considering another VPS account.

I currently have a cPanel account at another host that's on a simple shared server. That cPanel account also contains a couple of addon domains, which are mainly used for email.

My question: Can the entire cPanel account there be moved to a VPS here, with my addon domains and associated email accounts, staying intact?

After the move to VPS here, I would then migrate those addon domains to their own accounts.

Thanks!

~Gimpy
Yep we will bring over the whole account along with emails :)

Sorry for brevity - on a cell phone.

Greetings,

Thanks!

~Gimpy

Hey Gimpy!

Yep, exactly as @KH-Jonathan said, our Support Department will be more than happy to assist with the migration of your current account(s) to your new VPS. All settings and configurations will be copied over as is. Switching an add-on domain to it's own account can be a tad tricky. Their's a thread on the Official cPanel Forums that attempts to break it down, however we have an article in the Knowledgebase in the works for this. Feel free to reach out or open a Support Ticket if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for the fast response. That sounds great. I'll talk this over with my business partner and if he's on-board, I can make the move.

As far as moving emails accounts, in the past, I've been able to use Thunderbird with a connection to both accounts. I could basically drag and drop from one account to the other. Would I be able to do that in this situation, addon --->cPanel account?

I want to get away from addon domains altogether. Having each domain in its own cPanel container makes moving around a bit easier. ;)

~Gimpy

Thanks for the fast response. That sounds great. I'll talk this over with my business partner and if he's on-board, I can make the move.

As far as moving emails accounts, in the past, I've been able to use Thunderbird with a connection to both accounts. I could basically drag and drop from one account to the other. Would I be able to do that in this situation, addon --->cPanel account?

I want to get away from addon domains altogether. Having each domain in its own cPanel container makes moving around a bit easier. ;)

~Gimpy

@Gimpy,

Considering you've been with us for a while, I'm sure you've become accustomed to fast responses ;) Let us know if there are any areas of concern for your business partner that we may be able to provide enlightenment on.

As for the Thunderbird drag and drop option, I'm not implicitly familiar with that procedure so I can't confirm, however it does sound like that's something that would work. I have had success with Imap Copy in time's past, just know we don't support any issues from external systems.

As for escaping the burden of addon domains, I am right there with you. Separating cPanel accounts is definitely the way to go!

As long as the VPS allows parked domains (and I think they do by default), you don't need to use cPanel to add a domain. Use WHM to create a DNS Zone for the domain, and then create a <VirtualHost> block in pre_virtualhost_global.conf. cPanel will recognize the domains and allow you to use them for email accounts. This method also has the advantage of allowing you to use your second IP address for the domains. The disadvantage is that changes to the Apache configuration made in WHM do not affect the domains; you must make changes to the domains manually in pre_virtualhost_global.conf.

If you are comfortable with creating and editing configuration files, then this is a good option. If you are not, and you don't foresee making future changes to your Apache configuration, then I'm sure KH Support will do this for you. Otherwise...never mind. ;)

@Gimpy

Feel free to email me directly (see my sig) if you have any questions that you'd like answered privately.

Greetings,

I know it's been quite awhile since I created this topic and I'm sorry for the delay. Another VPS account has finally been purchased and I was wondering what the next steps would be for me to transfer the cpanel account from the simple shared account at another host, over to the new VPS here at Knownhost.

Would a full backup of the cpanel account need to be generated at the other host and then imported into the VPS here at Knownhost or is there another way to do this? Once that is done, am I correct in assuming that the only other step would be to update the domain at the registrar to point to the VPS on knownhost?

Thanks!

Thanks, I've been busy and haven't had much time to drop by here. And of course, everything runs so smoothly on Knownhost, I haven't had any problems. :)

So, when I'm ready to pull the trigger, I can simply submit a ticket and support will perform the transfer? What information will be needed from me?

I suppose I can update the DNS at the registrar at any time after that?

Thanks!

Yep that's all.

We'll ask for this info:

And yeah, once we move it over we'll provide you with DNS update instructions.

Ok, great! I'll be making the move in the next couple of days so I'll just contact support when I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to another Knownhost VPS!

A thought for you:

I had two domains at a shared host. When moving to a VPS here I wanted them to be in separate accounts. I moved the stuff I needed from the add on domain manually and used cPanel to transfer the primary domain.

I then spent a number of hours cleaning up the junk I had lying around on the old host that cPanel moved for me. I think it would have taken me less time to just move the stuff I actually needed.