Can I disable Nameservers?

richard_s

DNS for all my domains is though Cloudlfare and it's been working without any issues for the better part of a year. Do I need nameservers and DNS zones?

Email is handled through the hostname for all domains. I don't use any of the mail., ftp. etc. subdomains so the records are pretty simple.

Sample record on Cloudflare for the main domain used in the hostname. my1.hostname.com is the host name and the IP is 0.0.0.1 for the purposes of posting it here.
Code:
A my1 points to 0.0.0.1
A hostname.com points to 0.0.0.1
CNAME www is an alias of hostname.com
MX hostname.com  mail handled by my1.hostname.com
TXT cp1 v=spf1 mx a ip4:0.0.0.1 -all
TXT default._domainkeyv=DKIM1; k=rsa;.............
TXT hostname.com v=spf1 mx ip4:0.0.0.1 mx:my1.hostname.com -all

Different domain on another IP:
Code:
A otherdomain.com points to 0.0.0.2
CNAME www is an alias of otherdomain.com
MX otherdomain.com  mail handled by my1.hostname.com
TXT otherdomain.com v=spf1 mx ip4:0.0.0.1 mx:my1.hostname.com -all
TXT default._domainkey v=DKIM1; k=rsa.........

Have I assumed correctly I only need the A record on the server for the hostname and that is handled separately? Any gotchas such as DKIM?

I wouldn't disable named. 30mb is minuscule compared to the other services such as clamd (100-300mb), spamd(100-300mb).

If this is an MVPS service; named is semi-required as it handles local caching which cPanel and CentOS Repos rely on in order for it to poll and receive the updates as initiated by the cPanel upcp service.

Other low-footprint options such as mydns or nds are unavailable. Our MVPS line enforces resolve.conf, any changes to it would be reverted upon reboot.

Have I assumed correctly I only need the A record on the server for the hostname and that is handled separately?

This is correct; everything else looks good.

My mistake, that should be 300MB. It's right behind clamd in resources which uses the most. This is a VPS2 with a little extra memory, I'm upgrading to SSD shortly.

If this is an MVPS service; named is semi-required as it handles local caching which cPanel and CentOS Repos rely on in order for it to poll and receive the updates as initiated by the cPanel upcp service.

Still required for VPS2?

30mb is minuscule compared to the other services such as clamd (100-300mb), spamd(100-300mb)

I don't even get this. clamd and spamd are email service blockers. I'd like to disable named, and email altogether. I don't need the headache of email anything. All of my clients use gmail anyways, and, I use cloudflare as well.

After 20 years of working this mess, I'd like to see a real answer on dealing with this specific issue. Eliminate bs services that take up server resources for no reason.

Hey @Doug Ryan!

If you don't have anyone using email from your server why don't you just uninstall spamd and clamd? As you said that's a lot of resources being eaten up and if there's no active email accounts...