Best Option for Invision Power Board

Mutt Media

Hi Folks.

I'm going to sign-up with KnownHost in order to set-up a new site that includes both Wordpress (front of site) and the Invision Power Board suite.

I am looking at the Managed VPS-2 plan, but wanted to check if you felt that was sufficient for what I plan to run (the specs to IPB are linked above). I have a few other forums running on other hosts, with one of them being a decent size (16k+ members). I've run into some issues with my larger forum with my other host, mainly with frequent database errors. So, with the new site, I'd like to start off in the right spot, while leaving room to grow.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. What sort of database errors have you seen in the past?

Depending upon just how active the forum is more RAM will help you handle more visitors. Past that our SSD offerings would give your queries even more of a speed boost. VPS-2 or SSD-2 would be a good starting point, however as upgrades are seamless and near-instant.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The database error I receive on my other forum is as follows:

"If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again."

Adding another that is more specific and more frequent:

"Warning: mysqli_query() [function.mysqli-query]: (HY000/1194): Table 'ibf_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired in /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/forums/ips_kernel/classDbMysqliClient.php on line 234"

It typically pops-up about once a month, which shuts down access to my forum threads. However, there are times it is more frequent, sometimes even daily for a few days in a row.

Because the site I am starting with you is new, I don't think we will have any issues with either of the ones you recommended, or I may even bump up to the VPS-3 just to get a bit more RAM.

Do the managed VPS's have auto back-up, or is that something I will need to set-up in the CPanel?

Btw, at some point, I would like to move my larger site over to a new host, but it is daunting because I have 13 years of information, images, links, etc.

Thanks again!

Eric

Last edited:
Is your host HostGator? When I had my vBulletin forum with them I had database errors all the time. Since I made the switch to KH I haven't had any.

Sounds a bit like memory issues crashing MySQL or something similar, which would sometimes result in corruption thus preventing it from coming right back up.

Our VPSs are backed up once every other day, though keeping your own is also a good idea. What does your larger site run? Is it a CMS? Is it on cPanel? If it's on cPanel it should be a breeze.

Is your host HostGator? When I had my vBulletin forum with them I had database errors all the time. Since I made the switch to KH I haven't had any.

Hi Chimpie! No, it isn't HG. I actually have an account with HG that I host some smaller sites and have not run into any issues (yet). From everything I've read, that means I'm one of the lucky ones!

Sounds a bit like memory issues crashing MySQL or something similar, which would sometimes result in corruption thus preventing it from coming right back up.

Our VPSs are backed up once every other day, though keeping your own is also a good idea. What does your larger site run? Is it a CMS? Is it on cPanel? If it's on cPanel it should be a breeze.

I will definitely keep my own backup as well. It is a WP front with a IPB forum on CPanel. Once I have had some time to get my current site running on your servers, I will consider moving that one and one other. I signed-up for your VPS-3 plan yesterday and am working on getting everything going on my end. So-far-so-good.

Thanks!

Eric

Ahh that will be super easy to move then.

Welcome to KnownHost and let us know if you need help with anything :)