Before I jump in...

The Sorcerer

Hi,
I have some questions that I would like to ask. I am planning to purchase VPS-2 for a year with CPanel. I have a Wordpress site (DB size is about 5.62GB) in a shared account in another hosting and also plan to open a xenforo forum once I shifted. I wanted to ask, excuse my n00bishness but I am not very familiar with vps hosting as this is the first time I am shifting:

1. How many nameservers do you provide?
2. Would you be able to migrate the entire WP database for me? How do you guys usually go about that?
3. Does knownhost do any backup or have backup utility in the cPanel?
4. If I exhaust the assigned storage space or need more ram- or both- I can do those minor upgrades, yes?
5. I am not sure if this is possible, but do you provide guest/temporary admin accounts. Suppose I want someone to do some installation like xenforo and he needs admin acess, stuff like that.
6. I get traffic (acc. to google analytics) from U.S., U.K., Germany, France, India, France and usually it has 3% bounce rate. I see that the location of the server plays an important role? I want to know which locations do you provide and how can I seletect them+ what would you suggest I should choose given a choice and assuming there's a choice...

I got your reference from Techism group in Facebook. Looking forward to your reply.

Edit 1: Eh, I know I am asking for too much, but would you guys be able to help me install xenforo on the VPS with the pre-existing WP present? I know I am asking for something but if there's some sort of a charge, please let me know!

First off, welcome to our forum and thanks for your interest in KnownHost :)

1. How many nameservers do you provide?
2. Would you be able to migrate the entire WP database for me? How do you guys usually go about that?

Yes, assuming you're coming from cPanel, this migration would be handled for you with little to no interaction on your part aside from updating your nameservers with your registrar.

3. Does knownhost do any backup or have backup utility in the cPanel?

WHM will give you a lot of backup options, and we also do our own backups every other day.

4. If I exhaust the assigned storage space or need more ram- or both- I can do those minor upgrades, yes?

Yep, this is possible without any downtime!

5. I am not sure if this is possible, but do you provide guest/temporary admin accounts. Suppose I want someone to do some installation like xenforo and he needs admin acess, stuff like that.

This is fully under your control since you'll have root access to the entire server :)

6. I get traffic (acc. to google analytics) from U.S., U.K., Germany, France, India, France and usually it has 3% bounce rate. I see that the location of the server plays an important role? I want to know which locations do you provide and how can I seletect them+ what would you suggest I should choose given a choice and assuming there's a choice...

We currently offer services in the following 3 US locations: East Coast, Central (TX), and West Coast. Texas is our most popular offering since it's central to the rest of the US.

I got your reference from Techism group in Facebook. Looking forward to your reply.

Edit 1: Eh, I know I am asking for too much, but would you guys be able to help me install xenforo on the VPS with the pre-existing WP present? I know I am asking for something but if there's some sort of a charge, please let me know!

Thanks again for your interest in KnownHost :) We can generally help you attempt to install an application (though I'd recommend doing this on it's own cPanel account). The configuration of it will be wholly up to you, however.

KnownHost has xenforo installation option on their CPanel? I didn't know about this considering that you need pay an amount to get xenforo license...

Okay,
Just to get an opinion since I am still pondering over it and I am pretty much a noob at it. If I migrate and install xenforo, what should be the least VPS plan I should choose? atleast for the first year?

Eh, I know this is also a pre-mature question, but I hope you guys don't plan on selling the company to EIG like how Hostgator did, considering that company seem to be more interested in buying out hosting companies and royally screwing over people's hard earned investment.

XenForo doesn't really require anything itself aside from PHP/MySQL. What's going to determine the plan you need is the amount of traffic you expect. If it will be a low-traffic startup forum, you could very well start with a VPS-1 or VPS-2 (or SSD-1).

I've made the purchase just now and the payment is approved. I am eagerly awaiting the admin login credentials for the vps and raise a support ticket for migration as quick as possible.

I've made the purchase just now and the payment is approved. I am eagerly awaiting the admin login credentials for the vps and raise a support ticket for migration as quick as possible.

Welcome to KnownHost! As soon as you receive your login credentials, open up a support ticket and we'll get you moved over in no time :)

Yeah I am bit nervous about that part. The due date of the old host is tomorrow. I know- I shouldn't do that. I have the backups just in case but I would prefer the migration done by you guys.

Edit: Do I need to give the login credentials of the old host to them at the same time when I raise a ticket or do I need to do it when I get a reply..

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to give the old host anything but you will need to give KH your login credentials to your old hosting account.

Welcome to KH! :D