Are altered RPMs a bad thing???? (yep... me again...)

Hi everybody!!!

I just received another one of those emails that is totally Greek to me. I thought I would check in with y'all first about it... before I bugged support about it. I haven't touched anything or changed anything (wouldn't know how anyways) so not sure what this might be all about? I don't know what an RPM is... plus I'm beyond clueless how one would go about actually running the fix thingie???

Thanks in advance everyone!!! And Happy Holidays!!!
:)

The email:

Problems were detected with cPanel-provided files which are RPM controlled.
If you did not make these changes intentionally, you can correct them by running:

> /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

The following RPMs are found to be altered from their original install state:
cpanel-php53-PEAR,1.9.4,3.cp1136,/opt/cpanel/php/53/.registry/pear.reg

+1

Thank you for asking the question. I'm equally ignorant about the meaning of that email.

Good to know it's not something that is serious (my primary concern is that my stores keep functioning). Thank you for that.
BUT... I'm beyond dense about this technical stuff. How do you run the "fix" command? I can get myself as far as logging in to my cPanel... but once I'm there I'm lost about what to do or how to proceed. :-(
**sigh**

You need to SSH to your server and execute the fix from the command line (e.g. using an SSH client such as PuTTy or iTerm, or OS X Terminal). I think it is possible to run shell commands from WHM using the ConfigServer Explorer plugin, which came preinstalled on my KnownHost VPS, but is not activated.

I appreciate your help more than you know. But... I was serious when I said I'm pretty dense about this stuff. You lost me in the first sentence... "SSH to my server"??? I honestly have no idea what that means...
I so hate to bug them, but off to support I go.... :)

All better now (I guess???). Support ran the fix for me. It's so reassuring to know that they're here!
I don't know if I've said this today or not, but I love love LOVE KnownHost!

Since no one has offered a direct answer to this I'll see if I can help clear it up:

It *can* be a bad thing, but 99.9% of the time it's not. It's generally from a cPanel update.

In reference to this one in particular:
Code:
The following RPMs are found to be altered from their original install state:
cpanel-php53-PEAR,1.9.4,3.cp1136,/opt/cpanel/php/53/.registry/pear.reg

It's certainly from a cPanel update and is absolutely nothing to worry about :)

So, do we actually need to login and run the command: /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix

cPanel released a fix for this issue in version 11.40.1.5. If your cPanel auto updates, it should cure this.

I got the blow email from cpanel@server:
Problems were detected with cPanel-provided files which are RPM controlled.
> If you did not make these changes intentionally, you can correct them by running:
>
> > /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix
>
> The following RPMs are found to be altered from their original install state:
> cpanel-php53-PEAR,1.9.4,3.cp1136,/opt/cpanel/php/53/.registry/pear.reg

can you tell me what is this and where i can run the command /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix
i could not find the command prompt.
i am using WHM vps Optimized cpanel

can you tell me what is this and where i can run the command /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix
i could not find the command prompt.

You'd need to SSH to the server using an SSH client such as PuTTy or OS X Terminal. But if you're not sure how to do that, it's probably best to just wait for your cPanel to auto update to 11.40.1.5 which will fix the problem by itself. Or, ask Knownhost support for run the fix for you, like TexasPrairieGal did.