Anyone Here Use Xenforo On Your KnownHost Server?

DRE

Today I purchased a SSD-2 Managed VPS with KnownHost because I want the fastest possible setup for my Xenforo forum at a low price, cPanel, some of the latest technology and good customer support. At the beginning of the year I was with MDDHosting's semi-dedicated plan which was costing me $75 and was nowhere near as powerful as the SSD-2 plan I signed up for with Knownhost. Before moving to Knownhost, I almost went to an unmanaged VPS because I wanted to experiment with G-WAN but I learned that it's possibly snake-oil. I also looked at installing HHVM but HpHp for Facebook told me they are still working on optimizing it for the Zend Framework and that they currently do not have or know of any paid forum software solutions running on it yet. That left me with almost choosing Knownhost's $12 Litespeed option. I've done a lot of googling and learned that Litespeed outperforms nginx in a lot of different setups. I plan on buying Litespeed later on but for right now I'm going with the nginx option even though it is not as ideal. Here's a link that says Litespeed is one of the best server setups and even compares it nginx. http://nocfusion.com/web-server-selection-apache-litespeed-lighttpd-or-nginx/

Nice to see some familiar names here from the XF community. ;)

@bobster65 you're the second person I've read today who is switching their XF sites over to the SSD-4 package. I was so tempted to join you guys/gals but for now I'm starting with the SSD-3 to see how that goes.

Kev, all of you jumping onto these SSD plans is really making me envious. For now, I could easily fit everything into an SSD-4, but I am looking at doing some expansion that might make SSD-4 a bit of a limitation. But after seeing how fast Lisa has Discussion Junkies running, the possibility of an SSD-4 and an SSD-2 is starting to look dangerously attractive. The changes she has made in the last few days have really been amazing.

Quick, will someone throw cold water on me, before I start reaching for my wallet?

Kev, all of you jumping onto these SSD plans is really making me envious. For now, I could easily fit everything into an SSD-4, but I am looking at doing some expansion that might make SSD-4 a bit of a limitation.
I've always ran a dedicated server before so going down to the memory & space limitations of the SSD-3 package was a big jump but I'm learning to deal with it. Funny how suddenly switching to a box with less memory & space forces one to go back & look again at possible optimizations. :D

But after seeing how fast Lisa has Discussion Junkies running, the possibility of an SSD-4 and an SSD-2 is starting to look dangerously attractive. The changes she has made in the last few days have really been amazing.
So far I haven't been able to notice much difference in response time going from the dedicated server to the VPS. I really want to play with ElasticSearch with XF, something I haven't done in the past, so if that goes off without a hitch I'll be happy.

I'm still exploring options, but at least for now, I think I am going to save some money and stick with standard VPS packages. The SSD plans are awfully tempting, but I need to keep an eye on my budget. Maybe things will improve down the road and I can make the switch, but for right now, I am pleased with how responsive my sites are.

I'm still exploring options, but at least for now, I think I am going to save some money and stick with standard VPS packages. The SSD plans are awfully tempting, but I need to keep an eye on my budget. Maybe things will improve down the road and I can make the switch, but for right now, I am pleased with how responsive my sites are.
Even though, dollar-for-dollar, I could have gotten twice the disk space with a standard VPS package versus an SSD package I ultimately went with the SSD because of what I was reading about the speed differences in them. With the SSD package I was hoping to get similar response times to what I was getting with the dedicated server and so far I can't complain and the users have not even noticed. It is a bit of a learning curve going from 500gb to 40gb :eek: but I'm adjusting plus I figure I could always add on more space in the future if I need to.