an idea so we can communicate during such a massive network outage...

ppc

I think knownhost should set up a site that is hosted outside of colo4dallas so in case of such a massive ddos we can still see the status and what is going on...

Also an idea, maybe you can provide us a direct link now to your websitealive live chat and maybe set up a department for emergencies so in such an extreme case we would be able to live chat with you(since websitealive im sure is not in colo4dallas)

what do you think?

i hate people who do these things....

ppc

good idea!

Not a bad idea. I think just having a status page with a help center may be of great assistance and possibly little to no cost association. The forum is excellent but when its down it does not good until its up.

Maybe just move the forum to a backup source??

Who knows.. all i CAN say is that you guys handled it well and informed us quickly.

definiatly, knownhosts update was extremly quick,

Knownhost knew it before i knew it, and I was working on my system at the time....!

You guys are great and so on top of things; its just that we were not able to view your super fast response on the forum because we were unable to access the forum....

ppc, heathhos, thanks for your understanding and kind words. As for the external status page - yeah, this was in our plans to build something like that but as you probably know there is a lot of things going on and this project was delayed over and over again. My bad. I actually like the idea to not just have the status page somewhere outside of this network but to move the whole forum to be able to have 2 way communications with everyone. Thanks for the idea. Now the hardest part will be to select who to host this forum with ;) Let me sleep on it to figure this out

Regards,
Paul

Yep all good ideas, plus also maybe some kind of broadcast email as a heads-up that something is going on.

As usual the KH support was excellent yesterday, even finding time to reply to my support ticket when the network allowed :)

ppc, heathhos, thanks for your understanding and kind words. As for the external status page - yeah, this was in our plans to build something like that but as you probably know there is a lot of things going on and this project was delayed over and over again. My bad. I actually like the idea to not just have the status page somewhere outside of this network but to move the whole forum to be able to have 2 way communications with everyone. Thanks for the idea. Now the hardest part will be to select who to host this forum with ;) Let me sleep on it to figure this out

Regards,
Paul

This wasn't an outage, it was the result of a punk script kiddy who launched a large ddos from several computers (or possibly servers, but I think computers).* He made a threat to us and I wasn't there to do anything about it.* Sorry guys.

-Caleb

Caleb,

do you work for knownhost or colo4dallas? Just wandering cause you said that they threatened you....Regardless, what was the threat?

also, how do you deal with a threat like that...

Neither, the threat was that if we didn't post a public apology to some site i've never even heard of for an unknown reason, they were going to "ddos you until your host terminates you" is what they said.**
And exactly that happened, I can't do anything to the kid but his site's not viewable that well anymore according to a URL someone sent me on AIM to it.* Whatever, I hope he get smited.

-Caleb

Regards,
Paul

Can you tell me what you decided on...Getting this setup ASAP is a priority as we never know when an issue will occur

Forum was moved yesterday and seems to be working well at its new home

Regards,
Paul