am I missing something - 1 user for 1 FTP account set-up

nik_c

Hi,

Imight be missing something, after all its only a week since I am using pleask (I love it, compared to what I am coming from, it's heaven), but...

How do I provide just an FTP account for someone. Situation is as follows:

I am doing hosting on a small scale, for my clients only (at the moment anywasy). As such I need to create an FTP space for a client that uses one of their domain names as host name, and then one username/passwrod. they want to use this as a file exchange platform with their clients (they are a marketing and creative agency).

I can't seem to be finding this simple set-up, there doesn't sem to be a way of assigning a user a home directory they can access via FTP, no control panel access at all. Oh, the folder for the user account should be somewhere below the httpdocs folder of the domain so it can be accessed (IE downloadable) from the web / through browsers.

Is that possible at all in PLESK?

Thank you so much!

Nik

Hi Nik,

I am in the same boat. However, there is no way to just create an FTP account in Plesk.

The work around is to create a "web user". (The Web User button is 3 buttons to the right of "Setup" on the domain CP page.)

Creating a "web user" is kinda like creating another "folder" to store things and gives this "folder" seperate ftp access.

Hope that helps,

wow - wouldn't have thought so. I did that for years with my previous server company: set up a user, entered a path to a folder, let it create the folder, then supplied my main domain, plus user name and password to the new user, and presto!

I'll check out the web user feature again. I tried it yesterday and I couldn't really get it to do what I wanted to.

Thank you!

Nik

wow - wouldn't have thought so. I did that for years with my previous server company: set up a user, entered a path to a folder, let it create the folder, then supplied my main domain, plus user name and password to the new user, and presto!

Yeah I know at least CPanel(I dont know if thats the CP you had previously) has this capability but Plesk seems to like making some things a bit more obscure.

cool - works well!
just a differnet wayof doing teh same thing!
very happy am i!
Nik

Great! Glad to be of service.

Regards,

I was previously with DSVR - a fantastic company back in 98 when I joined, but then got sold a couple fo times and service went down a step everytime and suppor twent slower and slower every time.

The control panel was home spun, and again, very good for what was available back in the days when...
but when I saw what something like plesk can do I was just blown away!

N