altered RPMs error mail - Don't know what this is

rritz

Can anyone please help me with this:

I got a brand new vps set up
I get these mails every time the cron runs on the server:
" ...
[check_cpanel_rpms] There are altered RPMs on "host.xxxxx.com".

The system detected problems with the following cPanel-provided files that the RPM controls:

RPM Status Additional Information
cpanel-mailman,2.1.21,14.cp1158-/etc/cron.d/mailman Broken S.5....T.
If you did not make these changes intentionally, execute the following command as the root user to correct them:

/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/check_cpanel_rpms --fix
..."

I don't know what RPMs are, or why they are altered, because I sure did not alter them.
IF they are altered, might this be for some good reason?
What should I do? I don't know where and how to run the command that is given.

What will happen if I run the command? What will happen if I do not run the command?

Thank you, any answer and help is much appreciated

As I said, I do not know how to execute a command.

I also do not know what will happen if I execute it or what will happen if I don't execute it.

I also do now know if I maybe wanted to alter the RPMs, since I do not know what RPMs are

Did you execute the following command as root to fix the issue as suggested?

Hi Rritz,

This command needs to be executed via SSH through your SSH program either PuTTy or something similar.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
You would then login with your root credentials provided to you when you signed up. Once logged in, then you would run the command.

I also do not know what will happen if I execute it or what will happen if I don't execute it.

This is just an alert from cPanel related services stating that they've detected an improper RPM (mostly their fault). An RPM stands for 'Red Hat Package Manager' or now known as 'RPM Package Manger' -- these are used to handle the various installations on Linux servers when it comes to software, etc.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, then you need to open a support ticket for this request and let us handle it for you.

Thanks!