A little info please.

U

Unregistered

OK, I have a website that I have just completed and am hoping a praying for some kid of success. It is currently on a shared host a BlueHost. Great guys there very helpful but the limits that are imposed do not work well with my site. I have used CPanel there and have gotten prett familiar with it there.

Q1. What is the main difference between semi-managed and fully managed VPS?
Q2. What type of management does Known host offer?
Q3. How much knowledge should one have before getting into VPS?
Q4. Should I stick with CPanel or use something else on a VPS keeping in mind I have never had to manage any part of a server.

Any help answering these questions would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have all info in hand before the time arises and I can make a quick, speedy and well informed move on up.

Smoothice

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Please see below as I have answered your questions. Hope to see you signup.

Q1. What is the main difference between semi-managed and fully managed VPS?
--The main difference is we don't proactively login your VPS and update the OS and applications but with cPanel this can be enabled so it can be automated if you wish.
Q2. What type of management does Known host offer?
--You can read about what we offer here. We do go out of our way to help customers though as I think many would attest to. https://www.knownhost.com/faq.html#q13
Q3. How much knowledge should one have before getting into VPS?
--This is tough to answer. We are here to help you if you have problems with your initial setup but if you use cPanel now your learning curve is not as big. With cPanel VPS's you also get WHM which allows you to create Resellers so your overall flexibility and feature set is much larger.
Q4. Should I stick with CPanel or use something else on a VPS keeping in mind I have never had to manage any part of a server.
--Stick with cPanel definitely.

Regards,
Joel

One last thing, I was just reading that you have two datacenters. One in tx and one is ca. What is the main difference between the two and why is the ca one have twice the bandwidth? What is the difference in bandwidth? Sorry I always thought bandwith was bandwidth.

Smoothice

I am quoting a reply of Paul (CTO Knownhost)

Double bandwidth in California is our current promotion that may be either ended or prolonged at any point of time. As of today if you subscribe to our west coast VPS you'll get double bandwidth for the life of your VPS account with us.
We're using the following bandwidth providers:
- in Texas we use mix of InterNap and Level3;
- in California we have mix on Verio (NTT) and Cogent.

Historically quality of InterNap and Level3 was higher than, say, Cogent but this doesn't mean that Cogent is that bad. Latency might be a bit higher on routes coming through Cogent but there is no packet loss or anything like that. Also Verio has approximately the same level of bandwidth quality as InterNap/Level3, so the bandwidth mix we have in California allows to have good speeds and quality.

PS I was wondering what will happen if we'll run a promo like "double RAM on VPS-M plan", will we get similar questions like "Does this mean that RAM allocated to the VPS-M product is not good"?

Regards,
Paul
URL: http://forums.knownhost.com/showthread.php?t=422

another discussion here:
http://forums.knownhost.com/showthread.php?t=417

OK I have a few more questions, sorry.

Q1. If I purchase a small VPS is it hard to upgrade once I know if my site takes off?
Q2. When signing up do I need to change my domain to point to the new name servers right away or can I take time to play and learn before trying to setup my site here?
Q3. Is it possible to have you guys install custom software like ffmpeg and ffmpeg-php on the server or would I have to do it(I really mean have to pay someone else to do it as I cam completly clueless.)?

That should be it for now. I will probbly be signing up on the weekend to try my hand at this.

Smoothice

No problem...

Q1. If I purchase a small VPS is it hard to upgrade once I know if my site takes off?
--Not at all, upgrades are very easy to do.

Q2. When signing up do I need to change my domain to point to the new name servers right away or can I take time to play and learn before trying to setup my site here?
--You can take your time and do it whenever you like.

Q3. Is it possible to have you guys install custom software like ffmpeg and ffmpeg-php on the server or would I have to do it(I really mean have to pay someone else to do it as I cam completly clueless.)?
--We can attempt to install any 3rd party software as long as you can provide us with an installation link matching your control panel.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Joel

Thank you for all your help, i just signed up the the vps-lca. I did give a link to instructions for install of the software, hopefully that will be sufficenent.

Smoothice