3 questions on security and ditching Google

Hello all,
i just have a couple of questions:

1 - the option in 'Tweak Settings' > 'Mail' called 'Add X-PopBeforeSMTP header for mail sent via POP-before-SMTP' is turned on and greyed out so that i cannot turn it off (as it is supposed to be).. i'd really like to turn it off as i've no use for it..

2 - Exim is set to listen to port 26 in addition to 25 (in the 'Service Manager' section); i didn't do this; is this a useful thing to do? Seems fishy to me...

3 - i'm trying to migrate a whole bunch of email accounts from Google GSuite, and i was hoping to do it the 'easy way' using email routing. However, i read that because of PopBeforeSMTP being turned on, my server is looking for a POP auth (note that i do not want to disable SMTP auth, and i have SMTP configured to go over SSL/TLS by default)
EDIT: solved this question thanks to this post: i was trying to route it to port 587, but it turns out that port 25 accepts SSL/TLS with no auth...

i'd very much appreciate any input on questions 1 and 2, as i really don't want my server turned into a spammer's highway on-ramp..

Thank you all in advance!
Peter

Last edited:
Hello,

For question one; grayed out means it's disabled and not a currently active function.

This is because the following option is disabled;
"Allow users to relay mail if they use an IP address through which someone has validated an IMAP or POP3 login within the last hour (Pop-before-SMTP) [?]"

This is set to "off" -- which prevents a relay.

For question two; Exim has two listening ports 25 and 26.

25 is the primary email port for non-ssl connections. Port 26 is the backup port for those ISP's that block port 25 by default. (Very common)

Hope this helps.

That does, indeed, help!

However, the option you mentioned is also greyed out, but this one is correctly set to 'OFF'
what bothers me is that the 'PopBeforeSMTP' option is greyed out, but set to 'ON', and i'd really like to turn it off!

Thank you for your help!
Peter

Hello,

Grayed out means disabled. Even if it says "on" -- it's not really on because the functions required for it to work are disabled. If it was an active setting, it would not be grayed out.

This means it has requirements that have to be filled before the option is enabled and these requirements are not currently being met.

If you really want it checked out, then you'll need to submit a ticket.