2 resources based questions

Jleagle

1. I keep seeing "Load Averages" everywhere, what are they and what do they mean?
My CPU load can be running at 3% while the 3 averages are like 0.3, 0.2, 0.01.

2. WHM tells me all my cPanel accounts used disk space adds up to around 1500mb, yet Virtuozzo is telling me i have used 4500mb of space. I know cPanel its self uses up some room, but not that much. Recently my used disk space has grown quite alot, while im not uploading anything. Where could all this disk usage come from?

Thanks.

I couldn't tell you for sure about load averages. It goes up and down depending on what's running. Backups chew up the cpu, while some simpler tasks just pull a little briefly. For some reason when I upload by means of a ftp client my cpu jumps 3-5% for one user.

Whm/cpanel takes part of your space, but there is also everything else required to run your vps. The operating system itself takes a big chunk.

There is also any whm/cpanel automated backups you might have that run daily, weekly, monthly, etc. that are saved to your allowed space. I download them, and keep 1 or 2 on the server and delete the older ones, as I have a hard copy on my computer.

Also any other 3rd party scripts you might have installed will consume space.

If you use the yum update feature generally you'll get some increase in space.

I don't know how long you've had whm/cpanel or what version, but the cpanel 11 updates from version 10 have been decent in size. And there are some temp files associated with the updates that consume space I think they are in /home/.cpan and /home/.cpcpan I've heard you can delete them but I just keep them anyway.

I honestly wish we were allowed an additional 1 gb or so for the operating system like some other hosts do, or at least a better description of how much free space you can expect with nothing on your vps except for the necessary files to run it, or a slightly better deal on additional space.

I'm not complaining I'm still happy and content with everything here.

gameutopia

OK thanks. Recently it has shot up quite abit but i guess it all happened the same time as my cPanel upgrade which makes sence. I think its also temp files, like you say and logs of some sort.

Jleagle,

Take a look under your home folder and if you see things there that you know aren't your users (like .cpan, .cpcpan, one for apache and so on) they are safe to remove. These are the source files that are downloaded for CPanel updates and once the updates are installed they are no longer needed.

Also take a look in your /var/logs folder. The majority of your logs are stored there and some IIRC are not set to roll over so can get very large.

Hope that helps

Thanks, i dont seem to have a "logs" folder, but in "log" theres a bunch of logs (obviously), none of which are taking up too much room so i left them.

I do also have the .cpan and .cpcpan, will these ever get removed automaticly? or overwritten when another version of cPanel comes out?

Thanks, good ol' Wikipedia

EDIT:

The three values of load average refer to the past one, five, and fifteen minutes of system operation.

So i guess its used to see weather the cpu load is rising or falling over the last 15 minutes...

As gameutopia said
"The operating system itself takes a big chunk."
The space you specified = 1500 mb.
Total taken = 4500 mb.
4500 - 1500 = APPROX 3GB left to cPanel and the O.S.
This sounds about right :]
Nothing to get worried about.

And about the load averages.
1st number = Every one minute load average.
2nd number = Every five minute load average.
3rd number = Every 15 minute load average.

IE: if you used 0.3, 0.2, 0.01.
0.3 = Every one minute average.
0.2 = Every five minute average.
0.01 = Every 15 minute average.

-Kody.

Thanks, i dont seem to have a "logs" folder, but in "log" theres a bunch of logs (obviously), none of which are taking up too much room so i left them.

I do also have the .cpan and .cpcpan, will these ever get removed automaticly? or overwritten when another version of cPanel comes out?

DOH, yes it's /var/log sorry about that :)

Cpanel will continue to use these folders but they will never be removed automatically, you have to do that yourself. They will recreate automatically though of course.

To see how much space is used the command is: du -h --max-depth=1
And that is disk usage shown in human readable format for directories one deep so you'd run that in your /home directory and it would show you the disk usage for all directories in that directory.

1. I keep seeing "Load Averages" everywhere, what are they and what do they mean?
My CPU load can be running at 3% while the 3 averages are like 0.3, 0.2, 0.01.

Here's an excerpt from some info I got from a KH support rep a while ago:
"A 1 minute average of 1.0 in load means that out of the 60 or so processes running on your VPS at any given time 1 of them had to wait for CPU time. That 1 process could have been waiting on anything. The hard disk, a lock to be lifted, another process to finish, etc. Not all causes of a wait will cause degradation of performance, and even of the ones that do, a load average of 1 is negligible."