2 Questions:Which control panel; size of VPS?

gnome

I'm considering taking the plunge from shared hosting (elsewhere). These forums have been very helpful; just need to get clear on two matters:

Which control panel?
I've used CPanel before. Not bad, but from a demo, I might like Plesk better. I see in threads here that some find Plesk to be unstable. Is it as much a memory eater as CPanel? AND -- does the Application vault come with it, or is it a PowerPack addon (looks like the former)?

Size of VPS
Considering either VPS2 or VPS3. I'd be initially running 5 or so WordPress sites, which might ultimately grow to as many as 10. These wouldn't be heavy on doodads (zillions of scripts, heavy multimedia usage). I'd be happy to get 200 visitors on each site per day -- not aiming for the front page of Digg ;)

Which would be a better starting point? In this scenario, how much will choice of control panel affect things?

FINALLY, supposing one of those sites would be Drupal. Since it's not very optimized and makes calls all over the place...how will this affect things?

Thanks!

%%robert

I'm considering taking the plunge from shared hosting (elsewhere). These forums have been very helpful; just need to get clear on two matters:

Which control panel?
I've used CPanel before. Not bad, but from a demo, I might like Plesk better. I see in threads here that some find Plesk to be unstable. Is it as much a memory eater as CPanel? AND -- does the Application vault come with it, or is it a PowerPack addon (looks like the former)?

Size of VPS
Considering either VPS2 or VPS3. I'd be initially running 5 or so WordPress sites, which might ultimately grow to as many as 10. These wouldn't be heavy on doodads (zillions of scripts, heavy multimedia usage). I'd be happy to get 200 visitors on each site per day -- not aiming for the front page of Digg ;)

Which would be a better starting point? In this scenario, how much will choice of control panel affect things?

FINALLY, supposing one of those sites would be Drupal. Since it's not very optimized and makes calls all over the place...how will this affect things?

Thanks!

%%robert

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Also, welcome to our forums. If your using cPanel now we'd recommend sticking to it. Overall it's much more popular and we do recommend it to our customers. Plesk is nice too but we'd still give the edge to cPanel in terms of functionality, stability, etc. If you go with Plesk the Application Vault comes with the Plesk Powerpack for $2/mo. The Fantastico addon is the same for cPanel at $1/mo.

Based on what you've said thus far the VS2 would be the ideal starting point. You can easily upgrade to a larger VPS with no IP change or anything like that. So as you grow just upgrade if it's required to keep things running smoothly. The footprint of Plesk and cPanel in terms of RAM usage is about the same for it to be installed inside your VPS so one isn't better then the other with this.

Drupal is resource intensive so this could require an upgrade of RAM. You can do this by adding RAM a la carte to your VPS (listed on addon's page) or by upgrading the base plan (VS2 to VS3 for example).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Joel

Tnks for the fast turnaround, Joel!

All questions clearly answered.

Now is...decision-making time.

%%robert