mailman installation

yitwail

I'm a web developer but new at sysadmin. I want to migrate a client web site from a shared host to a VPS with cpanel. Since the existing site also uses cpanel, KnownHost will take care of the migration, which is great for me. However, I have one concern. The site has a mailman mail list, which was configured to use the domain instead of a subdomain. Is it possible as part of migration to create a subdomain such as mail.domain.com & route the maillist to the subdomain? I want to do this so that I can use Google Apps to handle the regular mail that the client receives.

I'm a web developer but new at sysadmin. I want to migrate a client web site from a shared host to a VPS with cpanel. Since the existing site also uses cpanel, KnownHost will take care of the migration, which is great for me. However, I have one concern. The site has a mailman mail list, which was configured to use the domain instead of a subdomain. Is it possible as part of migration to create a subdomain such as mail.domain.com & route the maillist to the subdomain? I want to do this so that I can use Google Apps to handle the regular mail that the client receives.

Hello,

We will migrate things as is. The only way to achieve what you mentioned is to manually create subdomain and mailing list - there is no automated tools to move parts of the account (mailing list in this case) to somewhere else.

Regards,
Joel

Joel,

I was afraid of that but I had to ask. At least I will have root access so I can copy archives & subscriber lists to the new subdomain. I'm hoping it's that simple, but even if it isn't, there's a well-defined process for doing this, I assume.

& Thanks for the quick response.

[edit] after googling, it seems that variations of bin/arch will migrate archives to a new subdomain. so we'll find out shortly, i hope.