vBulletin 4.0

rezag

I am interested in any impressions you guys have of the newest vBulletin release. I know it's pretty recent but wonder if anybody has any thoughts here.

I am interested in any impressions you guys have of the newest vBulletin release. I know it's pretty recent but wonder if anybody has any thoughts here.

Read heaps of posts on VB & VBorg about this, but I really dont see the big deal, I guess each to their own. I dislike upgrading fullstop, but theirs always going to be a gimmick or flaw to make you upgrade. Most my forum users, just about use half the funtions on my existing version v83 .

I dont think it matters what kinda board you run, Ive seen boards with basic layouts using just the freebie versions of phpboard compared to VB, and still being more progressive - So I dont believe a forum software matters at all - So no matter how good or exciting the hype is over VB4 I dont really care.

After being with vBulletin since vB 3.0.5, I recently migrated all four of my sites over to Invision Power Board. And I wish I had made the move a lot sooner, as IPB is a much nicer and more professional package, on both the front and back end. Not to mention the level of customer service at IPS being far ahead of anything I had ever received from vB Solutions.

The customer service at IPS and the customer service at KnownHost are spoiling me to the core. And I'm lovin' every minute of it!

I'm just waiting for vBulletin 4.0.2 to start testing the 4.x branch. It isn't a good idea to install and use vB 4.0.0 "Gold" even in a non-production enviroment as because that version is buggy. vBulletin 4.0.1 has been released yesterday but it still contains many bugs that aren't fixed (notice that a good amount of these bugs are priority 1 and also has been reported long time ago).

I'm curious, are you guys of KH planning to upgrade the forum to vB 4.x in the near future? Personally, I'm not going to upgrade my forum to vB 4.x until my hybrid server is running on SCSI/SAS array (okay, just a joke :D).

Thank you all. I haven't looked at Invision in ages (worked with vB, phpBB, smf, etc.) Will probably need to make a decision about staying with vB. I got to say that my forum users seems to like vB though, maybe only because they are used to it but still.

I am a member of a forum that "upgraded" to v4. My advice is Don't Do It.

It's very hard to customize, and the biggest problem I've seen is that searching for members' posts is impossible. If you click on profile and try to view all posts, you get a "No results returned," even if there are hundreds of posts. It also doesn't work by clicking a name and choosing view posts.

Multi quoting a post is non-intuitive.

Some have had troubles with navigation, because again, it's non-intuitive. Particularly for those trying to get new posts. Hard to find control panel without a couple of extra clicks, also.

If Invision Power Board is a better alternative, you may want to investigate it. But I personally recommend staying with v3 until there are no more security updates available. ;)

As i am one person who upgraded to vB4 and i am quite happy. I disabled the CMS / Blog which are not really needed at the moment. :) When i get my VPS done i'll move on over and love my vB4 features.

Coder/Designer ftw. I've been through many hosts lol and hopefully i can stay with this one.

Just upgraded one forum, somehow it is not what i expected, the CMS seems totally apart from the forums core.

Articles are useless if you want to make forum threads into articles, comments are stored in another forum instead of having a standalone system.

Now, the forums and blogs were inproved and styles were redone completely using CSS, that's a good part.

You can take a look at www.anizeen.com :)

Just upgraded one forum, somehow it is not what i expected, the CMS seems totally apart from the forums core.

Articles are useless if you want to make forum threads into articles, comments are stored in another forum instead of having a standalone system.

Now, the forums and blogs were inproved and styles were redone completely using CSS, that's a good part.
Nice setup man! Good luck!

slow speed

Now, the forums and blogs were inproved and styles were redone completely using CSS, that's a good part. anizeen.com

which VPS plan is your website hosted on ? it is little bit slow !