PLESK - cPanel Migration Questions

WRMercier

Understandably the best migration scenario would be to go From and To same type controls panels. (i.e. cPanel to cPanel, PLESK to PLESK) Unfortunately my current hosting utilizes PLESK and I would prefer to choose cPanel/WHM with my new KH VPS hosting package. Migration transfer would have to be done manually I would assume. What and how much assistance (if any) could I expect from the KH support department should I elect to transfer my current websites from current PLESK Host provider to KH cPanel/WHM? Is cPanel/WHM that much preferred and/or superior to PLESK that would make the manual migration worth the effort? Would I be better served to simply opt for PLESK since that is what I am coming from? If any, how much and what would I be depriving myself of if I elect to go with PLESK over cPanel/WHM? Basically what I am asking, is cPanel/WHM superior to PLESK or is this just a personal preference?

Some of my dozen or so websites I am currently hosting has MySQL DB’s. Will the data be transferred in the migration as well?

I have one website with a SSL Certificate. I understand that this must have it’s own unique IP. It is my intent to purchase the KH VS2 package which includes 2 dedicated IP addresses. Will I be able to use one of these for this site? It is my intent to have my own personal nameservers so do I need to purchase a third IP? How will I handle the SSL Certificate to the new hosting?

Thanking all in advance for your response and info.

Thanks for the info and response.

I understand that the migration has to be between like control panels. Would there be a possibility after the migration transfer has taken place that the control panel could be changed from PLESK to cPanel and leave the imported websites and databases in place? I’m currently with a host company utilizing PLESK but want to ultimately be with cPanel with KH. Any possibility? Thanks for any response and info.

Thanks for the info and response.

I understand that the migration has to be between like control panels. Would there be a possibility after the migration transfer has taken place that the control panel could be changed from PLESK to cPanel and leave the imported websites and databases in place? I’m currently with a host company utilizing PLESK but want to ultimately be with cPanel with KH. Any possibility? Thanks for any response and info.
I'm currently in the same boat. I am with KH also at the moment. I'll be using the cPanel Transfer Assistance Program to get the transfer done.

KH refused in help in the same which was sad but, I guess it's better to say no beforehand than quiting in between. So no worries.

I'm currently in the same boat. I am with KH also at the moment. I'll be using the cPanel Transfer Assistance Program to get the transfer done.

Michael;
Many thanks for the response and info.

I would be very interested to hear how you come out with doing the migration using the cPanel Assistance Program. Please post your opinion and results once complete. I can understand and respect KH’s policy since they make it very clear up front that they will only initiate migration between like control panels. The one question still unanswered would be when the transfer is complete, would there be a possibility of having the PLESK control panel changed to cPanel without affecting any of the imported websites, databases, scripts, programs etc. then hosted at KH? I would not be opposed to paying a fee to have it done if the service was available. I have not signed on with KH as yet but plan to do so shortly. Just trying to make up my mind whether to take the easy route with PLESK to avoid having to manually move a dozen websites with some Databases, scripts, SSL certificate to a dedicated IP etc or go with the preferred cPanel and suffer doing all the grunt work myself. Would sure like to hear of some compromise ideas if anyone has any. Thanks for your response and info.
WR

Michael;
Many thanks for the response and info.

I would be very interested to hear how you come out with doing the migration using the cPanel Assistance Program. Please post your opinion and results once complete. I can understand and respect KH’s policy since they make it very clear up front that they will only initiate migration between like control panels. The one question still unanswered would be when the transfer is complete, would there be a possibility of having the PLESK control panel changed to cPanel without affecting any of the imported websites, databases, scripts, programs etc. then hosted at KH? I would not be opposed to paying a fee to have it done if the service was available. I have not signed on with KH as yet but plan to do so shortly. Just trying to make up my mind whether to take the easy route with PLESK to avoid having to manually move a dozen websites with some Databases, scripts, SSL certificate to a dedicated IP etc or go with the preferred cPanel and suffer doing all the grunt work myself. Would sure like to hear of some compromise ideas if anyone has any. Thanks for your response and info.
WR
The cPanel Transfer Assistance does everything for you. That's what is promised. They'll switchover everything for you into cPanel.

I'll try and update my situation once I go through it.

The cPanel Transfer Assistance does everything for you. That's what is promised. They'll switchover everything for you into cPanel.

I'll try and update my situation once I go through it.

Michael;
The only fly in the ointment I see in reading cPanels prerequisites is that it requires Root access to the server from which you are transferring the accounts (i.e., the remote server). Since I am currently on a Shared account I don’t have this root access I suspect. Hopefully you do.
WR

Michael;
The only fly in the ointment I see in reading cPanels prerequisites is that it requires Root access to the server from which you are transferring the accounts (i.e., the remote server). Since I am currently on a Shared account I don’t have this root access I suspect. Hopefully you do.
WR
Yup that would be needed. In that case I'm afraid you have to do everything manually.

Hello,

We will assist with restoring databases if you have backups if the control panels aren't the same. FTP'ing the files over is not too complicated either so moving from different control panels isn't bad depending on what you currently have. If it involves lots of data, etc then it's a different story of course.

You asked if you can just change the control panel once the data is migrated but that's not possible. Since Plesk is designed by the company Parallels and cPanel is designed by cPanel the company they don't want to make it that easy to switch from control panel to control panel. They have different designs with the inner workings with how the coding is done so migrations are required when moving from one to the other. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joel

Hello,

We will assist with restoring databases if you have backups if the control panels aren't the same. FTP'ing the files over is not too complicated either so moving from different control panels isn't bad depending on what you currently have.

Joel;
Thanks for the info. Expected, although not exactly what I was hoping for. Feel the best course of action will be to do my MySQL DB backup’s then sign on with you and start the moving process. My current hosting is paid up until Feb. 2010 so that should give me plenty of time to facilitate getting the migration completed. Especially if I can hold off making the nameserver changes until I have the various sites tweaked on my new KH VPS hosting.

Thanks again for the response and info.
Happy New Year
WR

Hello,

We will assist with restoring databases if you have backups if the control panels aren't the same. FTP'ing the files over is not too complicated either so moving from different control panels isn't bad depending on what you currently have. If it involves lots of data, etc then it's a different story of course.

You asked if you can just change the control panel once the data is migrated but that's not possible. Since Plesk is designed by the company Parallels and cPanel is designed by cPanel the company they don't want to make it that easy to switch from control panel to control panel. They have different designs with the inner workings with how the coding is done so migrations are required when moving from one to the other. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joel
Why wasn't this restoring of Databases and FTP'ing the files offerred to me despite me being a customer of yours for 1+ years?

This is exactly what I was asking when you guys said you don't do migrations between different CPs. I asked help just to transfer the ZIPPED httpdocs data to public_html and I was turned down more than twice. :(

I don't understand this :(

Why wasn't this restoring of Databases and FTP'ing the files offerred to me despite me being a customer of yours for 1+ years?

This is exactly what I was asking when you guys said you don't do migrations between different CPs. I asked help just to transfer the ZIPPED httpdocs data to public_html and I was turned down more than twice. :(

I don't understand this :(

I checked our client portal and don't see any customer with the same last name as your username so I'm not sure on your situation. I didn't say we will FTP the files over. I made a comment how it's not hard to do but it's not something we advertise we offer. Restoring a backup of a database we will do upon request but we don't specifically advertise it anywhere. I don't know of us ever refusing a restoration of a database but without knowing who you are I can't really look into it. Migration from Plesk to cPanel we don't do so depending what you asked you may have received a different answer.

Thanks,
Joel

I checked our client portal and don't see any customer with the same last name as your username so I'm not sure on your situation. I didn't say we will FTP the files over. I made a comment how it's not hard to do but it's not something we advertise we offer. Restoring a backup of a database we will do upon request but we don't specifically advertise it anywhere. I don't know of us ever refusing a restoration of a database but without knowing who you are I can't really look into it. Migration from Plesk to cPanel we don't do so depending what you asked you may have received a different answer.

Thanks,
Joel
Check Ticket No. 86576

Hello,

I read the ticket and there wasn't a mentioning of a database backup. Basically if you say here is a backup of my database we can restore it for you in your VPS. Most Plesk to cPanel requests are full migration requests which we don't provide but we do many database restorations for customers moving from all types of control panels. Feel free to PM me if you ask for help with a database restoration and have troubles.

Thanks,
Joel

Hello,

I read the ticket and there wasn't a mentioning of a database backup. Basically if you say here is a backup of my database we can restore it for you in your VPS. Most Plesk to cPanel requests are full migration requests which we don't provide but we do many database restorations for customers moving from all types of control panels. Feel free to PM me if you ask for help with a database restoration and have troubles.

Thanks,
Joel
When you guys refused full migration I said I'll be taking help of cPanel's Transfer Assistance program and I would expect any help from you if required my the cPanel's team like say transferring the public_html folder or MySQL DBs which was also flatly refused.

I only expect your help in transferring the DATA (public_html/httpdocs folder and MySQL DBs) nothing else. That too between two VPSs in your own facility.

When you guys refused full migration I said I'll be taking help of cPanel's Transfer Assistance program and I would expect any help from you if required my the cPanel's team like say transferring the public_html folder or MySQL DBs which was also flatly refused.

I only expect your help in transferring the DATA (public_html/httpdocs folder and MySQL DBs) nothing else. That too between two VPSs in your own facility.

Sure, we will help with that. Just open a support ticket and feel free to reference this post. I talked to our CTO and we will assist with this request. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays.

Thanks,
Joel