Interested for a vps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankgr

Hi.

I am thinking to buy a vps (and specifically VS2) from your company as i have read very good reviews.
I have some few questions:
1.Could i use the vps for a flash games site?Site is small and has about 350 visits/day
2.Which datacenter would you recommend-Texas or California?The site + visitors are greek so i think i should choose Texas? (closer :p)
3.Is a data-transfer from old server to the new one possible? (I have about 1.5-2 gb space used). (I dont know if it is needed to refer-in case it cause problem to transfer,but the current vps i use, has hypervm-lxadmin) (so that not to download the flash files and then re-upload them)
4.When i registered the vps i have now from another company,it had 5gb of space.when i logged at the control panel,i saw that 2.5gb were already used.(but as they had some problems with their ip they moved my vps to another which had 1.5gb used)(space used for apache etc..) So i would like to ask you,when i get the VS2 vps,how much of it will be used? (as i see now,it is 20gb which is very much for me,but anyway,just to know :p)
5.Connection speed?
6.Does the server use only apache,or there is a choice between apache/lighttpd?
7.Which one do you recommend: cpanel or plesk?

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

I am thinking to buy a vps (and specifically VS2) from your company as i have read very good reviews.
I have some few questions:
1.Could i use the vps for a flash games site?Site is small and has about 350 visits/day
2.Which datacenter would you recommend-Texas or California?The site + visitors are greek so i think i should choose Texas? (closer :p)
3.Is a data-transfer from old server to the new one possible? (I have about 1.5-2 gb space used). (I dont know if it is needed to refer-in case it cause problem to transfer,but the current vps i use, has hypervm-lxadmin) (so that not to download the flash files and then re-upload them)
4.When i registered the vps i have now from another company,it had 5gb of space.when i logged at the control panel,i saw that 2.5gb were already used.(but as they had some problems with their ip they moved my vps to another which had 1.5gb used)(space used for apache etc..) So i would like to ask you,when i get the VS2 vps,how much of it will be used? (as i see now,it is 20gb which is very much for me,but anyway,just to know :p)
5.Connection speed?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Please see below as I have answered your questions. Anything else you need just let us know.

--Yes, the VS2 plan should be fine for you.

--It's best to go what's closest to where most of your website visitors are from. So Texas seems to be best in your case.

--We can restore backups of your databases if you have them but since control panels aren't the same the migration isn't like just migrating thru tools like what some control panels provide.

--Yes, about 2-2.5 GB of Disk Space is used up so whatever VPS you select make sure to subtract that from the disk space. So for the VS2 around 17.5 is usable.

5.Connection speed?

--We are 1 gigabit lines with the physical servers themselves.

--Only Apache at this time.

--cPanel is the most popular.

Thanks,
Joel

Hi,

Thanks for replying!
Regarding 3 and 5:
3.Yes i could do the db transfer (export and then import here - through phpmyadmin). I'm just interested for the flash game files,as they are about 1.5gb. (Just to give you an example,i mean something like the directransfer.net does).

5.And the minimum(/guaranteed) connection speed of each vps?

And something else (the last one :p ):
VS2 has 384mb ram. Let's suppose that there is noone at the site a specific time.That time,how much of the ram is used? (Just to know how much ram is at least used)

Thanks!

The amount of RAM used on a server with 0 visitors on any of the hosted sites will still vary depending upon the number of background processes running and several other factors.

As you can see on cPanel.com, cPanel/WHM alone has a minimum system requirement of 256MB of RAM.
http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/system-requirements.html

I'm not sure what script you'll be running, rather it be GameSiteScript or GameScript.net; you should not have to worry about maxing out the system with 350 visitors a day. Unless you're using a custom made script that has memory leaks and is written worse than a preschool english paper - you should be able to have a few thousand visitors per day before having to worry about upgrading to a better server.

I'll let them answer you're other questions though. :)

- Devon

Hi Davon,
Thanks for repying.
Yes i know that cpanel needs 256mb, so that means that always 256mb will be in use?
(At my current vps host (with hypervm,lxadmin,256mb ram),the ram that is used is about 100mb (with no visitors) (or 35mb with lightppd) )
I use Arcadem Pro. Ok about the visitors,but lets suppose they become 500, or 1000 a day,then the vps will go down?

I'm bit dissapointed now :/

Anyway,thanks.

Hello,

No 256 isn't used all the time. It's more like 80-90 MB roughly with things like Spam Assassin disabled. If it used 256 MB just to be installed then we wouldn't offer it on such plans as they wouldn't work at all.

Thanks,
Joel

Unless you're using a custom made script that has memory leaks and is written worse than a preschool english paper - you should be able to have a few thousand visitors per day before having to worry about upgrading to a better server.

As mentioned in my initial post, you should be able to have a few thousand visitors per day before having to worry about upgrading to a better server.

- Devon

(Devon,sorry i didnt see that)
Ok then.
Just remains the reply to the other 2 questions (my 2nd post of this thread) and i am covered :)

VPS's are capped at 10 mbit but this can be lifted if requested. In most cases customers are just fine with the way it is.

Joel

something more

1. $400 (annual price of VS2) includes the cost of cpanel,or is it extra $60?
2. From this post i saw this:

The CPU is shared among the VPSs on server and according to TOS a VPS cannot use more then 25% of CPU usage for over 90 Seconds (Normally this limit isn't crossed), if it did contineously and you din't take action to prevent it, your account may be terminated.

Would i have any problem to reach that limit? (generally is it easy to be reached or not?)
(i have worried about this when i saw that)

something more

1. $400 (annual price of VS2) includes the cost of cpanel,or is it extra $60?
2. From this post i saw this:

Would i have any problem to reach that limit? (generally is it easy to be reached or not?)
(i have worried about this when i saw that)

1. $400 does not include cPanel. Most clients pay monthly but if you want to pay annually it's definitely an option.

2. It is not easy to abuse CPU unless what your trying to host is not meant for a VPS. It's quite obvious when it occurs as it's consistent. It shouldn't be a worry unless you feel your someone who uses a lot of CPU.

Thanks,
Joel

1. Well yes, i havent thought that.First i will take a monthly package and then a quarterly and if i stay satisfied then i will continue with annual package. :p

2. You know what i will host (a site with flash games) so i dont think that this can reach this amount?

(if i take a monthly package,and then a quarterly then you can do the upgrade without any problems, i mean to change ip , or have to reupload my files to another account,right?)

Regarding tax,is it extra?

Finally, how accounts are verefied?(i mean do you request any personal doc ?)

Thanks.

1. Well yes, i havent thought that.First i will take a monthly package and then a quarterly and if i stay satisfied then i will continue with annual package. :p

2. You know what i will host (a site with flash games) so i dont think that this can reach this amount?

(if i take a monthly package,and then a quarterly then you can do the upgrade without any problems, i mean to change ip , or have to reupload my files to another account,right?)

Regarding tax,is it extra?

Finally, how accounts are verefied?(i mean do you request any personal doc ?)

Thanks.

You shouldn't hit CPU limits. It would be a surprise if somehow you did..

You can signup monthly and change later. There is no IP change, etc. It's transparent to you.

No tax.

We manually review each order. If it looks legit we don't ask for documentation. If something doesn't match up we may ask for more information.

Joel

Ok,then.
Thanks for your replies.

I will wait till the current host i use, fix their problem they have (for some weird reason their panel for vps,lxadmin,(and of course my site) doesnt load...-the 2nd time in 10 days-and for some weird reason they havent replied since 12 hours of my ticket of what happened....-so that's why i want to leave from them) so to backup the files.

Cu.

Does the code from http://knownhost.com/specials.html (HOTVPS) has expired? (cause it doenst seem to accept it)

And something else.
My site is .gr , so i will choose the third option (transfer nameservers),right?
(currently,i use my site's name dns (ns1.site.gr,ns2.site.gr)
so, i will choose the 3rd option?

And then i will have to change the ip from the .gr domain registrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.