Moving Wordpress into KH

U

Unregistered

Hello, KnownHost.

Looking good here, so I'm thinking about moving in.

My situation:

I have a couple of high-traffic Wordpress sites:

- One with Bluehost (hate them), about 1000 UVs/day. Cpanel.
- One with Stormhosts, about 1000 UVs/day. On a Windows server, so mod_rewrite is not an option, plus the pricing and other issues. HELM control panel.

Questions:

- What VPS plan will be sufficient? There will be a few less-traffic sites there as well.
- I have an amazing ability to mess things up, so I'll need help moving these two sites. Would you be able to help is I give your support access to control panels?
- to make things worse, the domain that's with Bluehost is registered with Bluehost and I'm having a trouble getting is out to my registrar. Would you be able to assist with this as well?

Thank you in advance,
leo.

Hello Leo,

First, thanks for your interest in KnownHost. We can definitely assist with migration of the cPanel account(s) but your Windows accounts (Helm) we can't do anything with. Considering the file structure is totally different and the fact it's Windows based it may not even work. The migration of that site would need to be manual since nothing exists in the world to help move such sites to cPanel.

Based on your current usage you mentioned, the VPS XL would be a good starting point. Without knowing more about your sites such as optimization that's done, etc it's tough to say exactly but many with such traffic opt for the XL plan.

The domain registration side of things shouldn't be that complicated. As long as you get an EPP code from your current registrar the transfer should be fairly simple but does tend to take a few days (maybe a week). The other thing to make note of is you can't transfer a domain if it has privacy protection on it. So if yours does, this needs removed or all transfers will fail. If you want you can transfer it to us but the EPP code is a requirement regardless where you move the domain.

Hope this answers your questions. Anything else let us know.

Regards,
Joel

Thanks, Joel.

The one with Bluehost clocks about 80 gB/month bandwidth. The other one is a little less. So I think a VPS L on California DC will suffice considering that an upgrade is easy if necessary.

Submitted a ticket to Bluehost asking to change the domain status to be released for transfer. Two hours - no reply. They're just horrible.

Thanks, Joel.

The one with Bluehost clocks about 80 gB/month bandwidth. The other one is a little less. So I think a VPS L on California DC will suffice considering that an upgrade is easy if necessary.

Submitted a ticket to Bluehost asking to change the domain status to be released for transfer. Two hours - no reply. They're just horrible.

You can actually place the order for the VPS so it's setup while your waiting for Bluehost. Then once the domain is ready to transfer just email us and give the EPP code. We can do the transfer after the initial VPS order. It's up to you of course. :)

Thanks,
Joel

Thanks, Joel.

Remember that it's not just bandwidth...you have memory considerations, etc. But like you say, it's easy enough to upgrade. Start with the L and if you need something more, the KH guys will definitely help you out...and quickly. Two hours and no reply to a support ticket? Jesus.

Alright...
Last straw... Got suspended by Bluehost again.

Just signed up for a VPS-Lca, submitted a support ticket for assistance with moving the site. Let's do this, Bryan. Show them how it's done.

Leo.

Welcome to KnownHost, Leo! And, go ahead and register an account here... It's easier than seeing 'Unregistered' posts. :)

Besides, I'm sure you'll enjoy participating in discussions on here. If anything, you just learn to appreciate KH more and more.

Alright...
Last straw... Got suspended by Bluehost again.

Just signed up for a VPS-Lca, submitted a support ticket for assistance with moving the site. Let's do this, Bryan. Show them how it's done.

Leo.

Ha ha ha! Nice! Yeah, I never had any personal experience with Bluehost, but from the few friends I have who tried them, the suspensions and lack of support are very, very common. It really makes you wonder how a company like that can actually stay in business. :confused: Ah well. You'll enjoy it here at KH. Welcome aboard!