Setting up wildcard ssl

Jhere

I'm trying to set up a wildcard ssl.

I generated the key with *.example.com.

When I go to generate a certificate signing request, I get an error saying "Sorry, the value of host was not valid, or too short"

I guess I'm not doing it right. :)

I searched around for that error and didn't find much of anything.

Any ideas?

You'll more than likely have to do it on the command line--which you should get into the habit of doing anyway because cPanel's certificate generator tends to fail, hang and leave stray processes around.

Any update on this issue?

Seems to be an issue with WHM 11.

The following thread states this problem. In that thread they also mention that the hosting provider had to do some "manual changes". I'm wondering what these changes are. Anyone knows?
Any alternative workarounds that don't require unique accounts and IPs?
"Ref: http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135507

Yes that is weird. Jag support have been in touch with cPanel support and have now reached the conclusion that the only way to get a wildcard certificate working is to create the 'subdomains' as stand-alone accounts (so they aren't subdomains at all), dedicate an IP to each, manually create the entry and then rebuild Apache. That's convenient then.

It is now working, but support had to make changes manually. We no longer have subdomains, however - each 'subdomain' has to have it's own account and dedicated IP. Below is support's 'how to' guide:

Copy the file for one of already installed certs e.g. in this case I copied file '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername1/mysubdomain1.mydomain.net_SSL' to '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/' .

/var/cpanel/userdata/ is the path where each account has a folder with its apache and cpanel configuration files. The _SSL file is the one which contains the entries for ssl vhost for any domain.

Rename that according to subdomain i.e. in this case rename '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain1.mydomain.net_SSL' to '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain2.mydomain.net_SSL'.

Edit the file '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain2.mydomain.net_SSL' and update user name to myusername2 where there is old username and update IP, viewing this file will clear any confusion.

Run : /usr/local/cpanel/bin/build_apache_conf
to rebuild apache configuration from the newly created file.

Then restart apache to make it load newly built configuration."

As usual, JaguarPC is doing a whole lot of work to accomplish a whole lot of nothing. Use OpenSSL directly and forget about cPanel.

As usual, JaguarPC is doing a whole lot of work to accomplish a whole lot of nothing. Use OpenSSL directly and forget about cPanel.

Kind of funny though, cause in order to achieve what I desire I've got to uninstall cPanel completely. Each time you make a new subdomain, the critical file is overwritten, which results in you loosing those manual changes (that is as long as cPanel/WHM is in place).