Reboot once a day. Good idea?

onelove

Is there any benefit to reboot the vps account once a day during low traffic hours?

If yes, is there an automated way to do that?

Is there any benefit to reboot the vps account once a day during low traffic hours?
A couple of sysadmin buddies like to see servers restarted once in awhile, but once per day would be a bit much, methinks. The main thing that I have seen happen is in larger networks of interconnected computers that depend upon services across the network; a NFS file server goes down, and perhaps the automounter gets into an unusual state that can't be cleared by service restarts. But on a largely self-sufficient server, there's so much less of that sort of thing; you should be able to measure reliable uptime in months, not days or weeks.

My home server has been up and running for over 300 days, no sign of memory leaks or performance issues. That's how it ought to be! ;)

And frankly, KnownHost is more likely to need to reboot the physical server to upgrade a kernel more often than that, so you'll get your VPS restart that way in any case.

In general there is no need to reboot your VPS so often unless you're fighting with memory leaks in applications running inside the VPS but even in this case it should be enough to restart the application you're having troubles with.

Regards,
Paul

Memory leak is a term which describes failure to release unused memory, failure to close unused file / network descriptor(s) and so on. In other words this is a programming error which results in wasted resources on the system.

Memory leak is a term which describes failure to release unused memory, failure to close unused file / network descriptor(s) and so on. In other words this is a programming error which results in wasted resources on the system.
How could one pinpoint the exact script / file causing a memory leak?

This is something that is very hard to trace. The only suggestion I can give is to disable scripts where you expect memory leaks to find out if it helps to reduce memory usage in the long run. If memory usage remains at around the same value for a 1-2 days try to re-enable these disabled scripts to see if memory usage will start growing again - if this will be the case, then you'll know where to look next...

Regards,
Paul

Code:
Total Memory327680 kB
Free Memory219908 kB
Total Swap Memory0 kB
Free Swap Memory0 kB
System Uptime26 Days, 23 Hours and 42 Minutes
When it was 256 Ram, thanks to spam assasin, i had RAM problems. Killing spam assasin and upgrading to next plan and this is the result. Hasn't been rebooted since the upgrade. and it is no basic server either. it serves thousands everyday. Still rock solid :)