Moving domains from different shared hosts

eJM

enterpriseJM
Hi,

I am considering a VPS account here based on the excellent reviews I've read. I have a shared hosting account with several domains on one host (HostGator) with cPanel and another shared hosting account on another host that I also have several domains on - that one has some other control panel (Site5, if you're familiar). Then there's another guy who I am bringing with me who has a couple of domains also on a Host Gator account. Him and I both run vBulletin forums from HG, so we have the databases to worry about as well.

Do I have to move all these domains myself, or do you offer assistance with this. The account will be in my name and I will be running it, but I have never used a VPS before and realize I may have some learnin' ta do.

I think we'll be doing a yearly pay thing to save some bucks, but is there a special we can take advantage of in addition to the yearly savings? If not, will there be dancing girls at the house warming party? How 'bout just some bar-b-que an' soda-pop?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

I am considering a VPS account here based on the excellent reviews I've read. I have a shared hosting account with several domains on one host (HostGator) with cPanel and another shared hosting account on another host that I also have several domains on - that one has some other control panel (Site5, if you're familiar). Then there's another guy who I am bringing with me who has a couple of domains also on a Host Gator account. Him and I both run vBulletin forums from HG, so we have the databases to worry about as well.

Do I have to move all these domains myself, or do you offer assistance with this. The account will be in my name and I will be running it, but I have never used a VPS before and realize I may have some learnin' ta do.

I think we'll be doing a yearly pay thing to save some bucks, but is there a special we can take advantage of in addition to the yearly savings? If not, will there be dancing girls at the house warming party? How 'bout just some bar-b-que an' soda-pop?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Knownhost provides migration assistance from the same CP for free. Meaning migrations from Cpanel --> Cpanel, Plesk --> Plesk. The site5 sites would have to be brought over manually which isn't as big of a deal as you might think; downloading all the sites via FTP, re uploading to the VPS etc. etc.

Knownhost has just become a fully managed VPS provider. You can get more information about that here. I started out not knowing much at all about servers, VPSes and linux but they really helped me come a long way. These guys are the best, so if you're looking for a great honest company, you've come to the right place.

There is that huge special they just released and in general all of their discounts are applied ONLY to monthly payers.

Ask if you have any other questions ;)

Regards,

You missed the really important ones, so I'm guessin' no dancin' girls, no bar-b-que. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it. ;)

Actually, I'm already sold on you guys, but I have to convince the other guy. You being able to move our domains and forums from HG is a big deal. I can handle the rest.

Thanks,

Jim

You missed the really important ones, so I'm guessin' no dancin' girls, no bar-b-que. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it. ;)

Well you will feel like family :p

If you have any other questions, just holler.

Regards,

Thanks, Josh.

I also wanted to make this clear for anyone following along: HostGator has been an excellent host and their support is wonderful. The reason for our moving is to combine our resources and HG just doesn't have a package that will work for us in this new capacity.

Site5, well... my momma taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say nothin'. :|

Jim

Thanks, Josh.

I also wanted to make this clear for anyone following along: HostGator has been an excellent host and their support is wonderful. The reason for our moving is to combine our resources and HG just doesn't have a package that will work for us in this new capacity.

Site5, well... my momma taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say, don't say nothin'. :|

Jim

Well said on both accounts.

Well you will feel like family :p

AND, you'll get an expensive hallmark card for the holidays(no joke).

:)

Regards,

Rather than start another new thread...

Is there some way, somewhere, to test what the difference in load times would be in comparison to the current shared hosting account to what we might expect on the new VPS account (VPS Triple X)? I've done some testing of the domains on various testing services, but the results seem to vary considerably, preventing me from coming to an accurate conclusion about the current speeds - except to know that they are slower than they should be. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Jim

There are so many things that can affect load times, and so many of them are so completely beyond any single entity's control that it's pretty difficult to authoritatively place a number anywhere that will have any actual meaning. If you want to test the waters I'd say sign up for a basic package, load some sample content up and kick the proverbial tires. If it works for you, then upgrade to a larger package and move in. If not, you're only out a few bucks.

I'm not sure it would be as easy to test as that. Our smaller sites prob'ly wouldn't see any appreciable difference in load times or performance. It's a couple of forums, one with nearly 10,000 members and about 3,000 uniques a day, plus it's a fairly active forum. On top of that, we're considering the VPS Triple X, which should naturally have a lot better performance than a basic package.

To get a real world test, I'd have to put one of our forums on it and that's a bit much just for a test. Anything else wouldn't really produce any reliable results, unless there is some kind of simulator or some comparison statistics from others.

Jim

eJM,

Thanks for your interest in KnownHost. Unfortunately khiltd is right, there is no way to test this without actually purchasing a plan. We do offer a full 30 day money back guarantee if the sites do not work out for you. We do have quite a few large/busy forums hosted on our VPS Triple X plans as well.

As Josh said, we also have a holiday promotion, KHXMAS, which will give you 50% off your first two months followed by a 10% lifetime discount.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Joel