Questions about LiteSpeed Web Server

stickman

These may be questions for support staff but I thought posting it here might be useful to others.

1. With LiteSpeed Web Host there are different levels offered for dedicated servers. According to litespeedtech.com, it looks like the only difference between Essential, Professional, Enterprise, and Elite is the number of workers (1, 2, 4, and X). Those numbers are significantly lower than the "Apache max request workers" on my server, which is currently set to 250. Are those two unrelated things?

2. It looks like LiteSpeed handles Layer 7 DDoS. Is that correct and a part of what KnownHost offers?

3. Can I configure LiteSpeed to use reCaptcha and can that replace the reCaptcha on my website's contact forms?

4. Will adding a CDN like Cloudflare reduce LiteSpeed's effectiveness?

5. Are there tools that I can do my own testing before and after adding LiteSpeed? Specifically, testing page load times as well as sudden spikes in traffic from lots of locations around the US?

Thanks in advance!

1. They are unrelated. The number of workers is simply the number of CPU cores that Litespeed itself can use. Generally even for busy websites 1 worker is plenty as most of your processing is done by lsphp which is forked into separate processes.

2. They handle them to a degree, and much better than Apache. It works especially well for common attacks against Wordpress. Our DDoS filtering isn't designed to handle layer 7 attacks but it does/can handle some. Imunify360 that we offer is designed for layer 7 attacks specifically.

3. Yes absolutely.

4. Nope, CDNs are just fine with Cloudflare.

5. That's a tough question to answer and I don't exactly have a good answer for it. There are a bunch of ways to load test and I generally use things like apache bench or siege both of which are command line utilities and if run from a home computer won't have the desired effect anyway due to network limitations, etc.

5. Are there tools that I can do my own testing before and after adding LiteSpeed? Specifically, testing page load times as well as sudden spikes in traffic from lots of locations around the US?

To add to what Jonathan has mentioned. I'm not a huge fan of any online website page speed tester. 99% Of them are garbage in my opinion. They can and do provide useful information, but it is often obscured by un-related or un-realistic recommendations. Google pagespeed is really bad about that.

The most consistent way I know to test a website is to use Chrome Developer Tools. You can use the network tab to control your local browsers cache and then benchmark the load time of the site and identify slower resources using the waterfall.

Using LiteSpeed does not actually lead to the incredible 40%-50% across the board increases in performance figures we’ve seen advertised elsewhere.

Using LiteSpeed does not actually lead to the incredible 40%-50% across the board increases in performance figures we’ve seen advertised elsewhere.

Generally those are very subjective tests and all vary greatly on the default configuration.

Where LiteSpeed shines is it is much more efficient resource wise when serving traffic, so your same amount of resources can now handle a larger overall amount of traffic.

The Caching that is built into it is also very well done, so if you're using WordPress for instance, adding LSCache and configuring it to the full extent can make drastic changes for load times and server resources.

Everyone likes to try and bill a product as a one-stop fix everything solution but that's not really the case with any piece of software. It's all about usage, needs and configuration but overall LiteSpeed is a very solid product and has helped a ton of our customers manage their higher traffic sites and give a boost where needed.

Thank you all for your helpful responses.

With regard to LiteSpeed, would I want two workers if I'm hosting a high traffic site on the same server as 3 Moodle site that have thousands of users but usually, but at any given moment, there could be a combined total of about 300 active users.