HOWTO Remote Desktop

i get an Unrecognized service for that. So i assume not installed.

any further ideas?

You might have another kind of firewall installed on your VPS then. APF is just one of thousands of firewalls that could have been installed on your VPS(though APF is VERY popular).

Check in your control panel to see for settings of a firewall.

Let me know,

just checked with KnownHost and was told the only thing is: iptables

ran command: /sbin/service iptables stop

but to no prevail :(

just checked with KnownHost and was told the only thing is: iptables

ran command: /sbin/service iptables stop

but to no prevail :(

Ok - are you using VNC viewer on your PC to view your VPS?

If so in the server field make sure you put the following:

1.2.3.4:1

where 1.2.3.4 is your VPS IP address and the number after the ":" is port 1 which is the port your VNC SERVER uses.

yep that is what im doing . just get a

unable to connect to host: Connection refused (10061)

address: 65.99.213.102:1

yep that is what im doing . just get a

unable to connect to host: Connection refused (10061)

address: 65.99.213.102:1

Reboot your VPS then run:

Code:
rm -rf /tmp/.X1*
vncserver

wait a few seconds then try to connect. I had the same issue on my debian VPS last night I just needed to reboot.

-Caleb

I believe VNC uses port 5900. I will increment based on which screen you are using. So screen 1 would be 5901 etc.

Has anyone tried this with the Xfce desktop? A little lighter on resources then KDE but would provide about the same functionality.

I believe VNC uses port 5900. I will increment based on which screen you are using. So screen 1 would be 5901 etc.

Has anyone tried this with the Xfce desktop? A little lighter on resources then KDE but would provide about the same functionality.

My VPS serves no purpose at all except my fiddlings so I will probably be testing out fluxbox and I can try out xfce as well but I'm not familiar with them so it may take me longer to get setup.

Hi,

Thanks for the help, Was away for a while.

Still no luck doing that though.

I just opened to look at the log it creates.

This is what was inside:

_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/server1.500servers.net:1
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Jan 17 2007 14:52:53
Underlying X server release 60801000, The X.Org Foundation

Thu Jun 14 23:27:59 2007
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from $
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from l$
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from$
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from l$
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from$

Forgot to put in my last post:

NOTE TO ALL: Port required to be opened for this to work is 5901

5900 is the base port but since we are using port 1 - meaning in vnc viewer you put in IPADDRESS:1 - the one gets added on so the port needed to be open is 5901.

Have fun :)

Ok I have a solution to the connection refused error that may help. I was having the same issue on fedora and this helped.

# yum -y groupinstall "X Window System"

The problem was that the yum repositories are changing and it didn't correctly install the x window system.

-Caleb

What are the benefits?

What are the benefits in getting a GUI when you can administer the server through a command line?

Does Centos has an admin interface in GUI that will make it easier to add accounts, create domains, or mysql databases that will alleviate the need to have, say, webmin or cpanel?

From a Unix newbie...:)

What are the benefits in getting a GUI when you can administer the server through a command line?

Does Centos has an admin interface in GUI that will make it easier to add accounts, create domains, or mysql databases that will alleviate the need to have, say, webmin or cpanel?

From a Unix newbie...:)

Hi Ronnie,

I haven't come upon yet any way to administer the server (like the functions you listed) through the GUI. There might be but as of now and all my searcing I haven't come upon anything.

For me its just cool to see a real actual colorful desktop behind the dark and scary black SSH terminal :)

On my cPanel CENTOS 5 VPS not the CENTOS 4, it seems there's a language pack of some sort missing. See attached image.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• wchar.JPG
    wchar.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 12