Problem with DNS

rritz

Hello all,
I have a problem with my DNS not resolving.
I am setting up VPS for the very first time so please bear with me.

When I got my log in I went to WHM to do the basic setup: I assigned the IP addresses to the 2 nameservers and created A records for both
I created the account for my main domain. I visited the cPanel admin for my main domain to see everything is working fine and uploaded an index.html for fun.

Ok next I headed over to namecheap to point my domain to my two nameservers. That was Thursday. Today Sunday
Now I am waiting. It said, it can take up to two days for DNS to propagate. It's three days now. Last time, when I moved one of my domains from one hosting provider to another the DNS changed in a couple of hours.

So naturally I am wondering if I did something wrong or missed some vital steps.

Also, does it matter at all that my VPS is host.mydomainABC.com while the main domain, the one I want to host there is mydomainXYZ.com?
I thought it should not matter

I am reading all the wikis but I only found the steps to take after all this has already been done. So, it will also help me if you could just simply point me to the right wiki

Thank you

Hi Rritz,

One step that I see you didn't mention was actually registering your nameservers with your domain registrar. If you don't register your custom nameservers with the domain registrar than they typically don't have anywhere to look even though you set your domain to them.

Here's something from Namecheap regarding it.

https://www.namecheap.com/support/k...-i-register-private-nameservers-for-my-domain

Also, does it matter at all that my VPS is host.mydomainABC.com while the main domain, the one I want to host there is mydomainXYZ.com?
I thought it should not matter

Yes; your hostname should match your primary domain for proper rDNS authentication and that your hostname has an A record to reference.

Hope this helps, if you continue to have issues, feel free to submit a support ticket so that we can take a deeper look into it!

Maximise your potential when you buy a VPS with KnownHost - offering reliability, affordability and exceptional hosting service.