help transferring cpanel account from bluehost shared hosting

adev

I've used the great guide in the how to section before with great success, however I have some complications and would welcome any ideas or input:

I want to move a cpanel account from my long-standing Bluehost account (around 10 years old now) to my now 15 month-old VPS2 here at KH. I've done cPanel transfers before with great success, but bluehost of course have to make things complicated.

I have no dynamic websites on the bluehost side, but one site uses a database which is updated every minute - I can deal with that manually though, no problem.
Other than that I have around 600MB in public_html and around 2.2GB worth of emails spread over around half a dozen domains and 12 or so email accounts.
I also ideally need to transfer the DNS data for the half-dozen or so addon domain names in the bluehost cPanel.

I have SSH access, but no ROOT access or root escalation method available, and bluehost use a highly customised version of cPanel anyway so I'm not sure if it would even transfer properly with the automated tools anyway.

I can copy the public_html and mail folders over manually with SSH, but don't seem to be able to access the dns zone files. Also I'm not sure if manually copying the mail directory will work once on the new server? is it simply a case of checking/adjusting permissions recursively once transferred?

any help appraciated. I have 14 days before my bluehost account expires and I would really like to avoid paying for any more time there...

I haven't but in this case I kind of don't want to as I can't see it going totally smoothly and I want to know exactly what has/hasn't worked along the way. Also there are some add on domains nand other redundant stuff that I could well ditch. It's mainly transferring the emails that I'm unsure of.

Hi adev,

I have no experience with the host you're talking about so excuse me if this is a stupid question: can't you use the cPanel backup utility?

That's the best way to do it as it will include all the DNS info, forwarders, email, etc etc. Literally everything for each account. If you can't connect using rsync or something since you don't have root access you might have to download the backup file locally then upload it to your VPS but it can be done. Then you just restore it onto the VPS, it really should be fairly painless.

@adev you're right, BlueHost does go out of their way to try and make things difficult. There are a couple of ways you can do this though. The easiest is to take a backup of the account and place it in the home directory of your BH account. Then, using command line FTP move this over to /home/ on your VPS. After that it's easily restored by using cPanel's /scripts/restorepkg script.

Let me know if this helps.

KnownHost; world leaders in VPS hosting for US and global clients.

That's what I thought Jonathan, but it seems they've disabled th standard cPanel backup tool and replaced with a basic tool that allows you to download databases, restore email stuff, things in your web root, but for what I want (basically everything) my only option is to download it all as a compressed file. At around 3gb this isn't an option on my lame internet connection as uploading it would take days, if my connection was stable enough, which it isn't.

I'll have another look at the options in there to be sure, but if it turns out I have to do it all manually, can I recreate the email accounts and then zip up all the mail directories at the Bluehost end, wget them to KH and then unpack them. Will they then work with the newly setup email accounts at the end?

You can do a direct transfer to your new server from your old server using ftp so your connection is out of the loop.

thanks addict, I didn't even consider FTP as an option to be honest. How would that work in practice though? I use 'Transmit' FTP client for uploading files from my mac but if I used that to transfer files from one remote server to another, it always goes through my mac first - in otherwords it downloads from server A and then uploads to server B. So again not an option. I'm guessing this isn't what you mean though and there is a way to FTP directly between the servers that I'm not aware of?

Regardless, my questions RE transferring the email directories still stand at this point.

Create the backup file on your bluehost server and note the location, same as you would if you were going to use your ftp client on your mac to download the file. SSH into your new server here at KH and use ftp commands to download the file into the root (not public_html) of your account. You'll then be able to extract, or with any luck you may be able to use WHM's backup wizard to restore the account here at KH. I found a couple useful tutorials for you...
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-unix-ftp-commands/
https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/how-to-restore-full-backup-when-its-already-on-server.104165/
So in short: Create the backup on BH, SSH into your KH server, FTP into your BH server, get YourBackupFile, then move forward with the recovery using WHM's Restore option. This method will copy the file from BH directly to KH leaving your Mac out of the loop.
If you have trouble KH support will be able to do this process easily.

yeah the issue is creating the backupfile at bluehost. I can't do that, I can only download it directly to my machine which as I said isn't an option.

I'm very surprised that they would have a backup option that isn't saved locally somewhere in your account first then you download it, especially being 3 GB in size. Without access to your accounts I can only make guesses, but I'm almost positive you have some way of getting that backup file directly to your new server. Regardless, if you give support access to your backup file at BH I'm sure they'll assist and get that backup file into your server for you if your connection is really that bad.

Hi adev,

I did a little looking around and it looks like you're right that their backup script forces you to download a full backup to your local machine. I did find a post that was a few years old now that talked about logging into your cPanel and then going to https://cpanel_url:2083/frontend/x3/backup/fullbackup.html and supposedly that worked. I have no idea if it's still possible to use or not.

To get back to your question about whether or not you can copy emails over the answer is yes you can. I've done it. You'll just need to make sure that the files are chowned properly, have the correct permissions, and are in the correct places too of course. This is also assuming that you're using the Dovecot on both servers as well.

Hi adev,

I did a little looking around and it looks like you're right that their backup script forces you to download a full backup to your local machine. I did find a post that was a few years old now that talked about logging into your cPanel and then going to https://cpanel_url:2083/frontend/x3/backup/fullbackup.html and supposedly that worked. I have no idea if it's still possible to use or not.

To get back to your question about whether or not you can copy emails over the answer is yes you can. I've done it. You'll just need to make sure that the files are chowned properly, have the correct permissions, and are in the correct places too of course. This is also assuming that you're using the Dovecot on both servers as well.

Last I checked this was irrelevant now as it no longer works. We've found some new workarounds :)

well I went to the link that Dan suggests (I actually had to change it slightly to fit the new URL structure) and have initiated a full backup, so it looks like it still works!
thanks dan