Plesk Gone?

curdude

Hello,

I was looking at the panel options the other day and did not see Plesk as a panel option anymore.

Is that completely gone now?

R,

Hi Jonathan,

Wow, that is too bad. We have it on our VPS, gotten used to it and love it. No so good experience with WHM/cPanel in the past at another hoster.

So Plesk is gone for good I take it from KH :(.

R,

Hi Jonathan,

Wow, that is too bad. We have it on our VPS, gotten used to it and love it. No so good experience with WHM/cPanel in the past at another hoster.

So Plesk is gone for good I take it from KH :(.

R,

Yes it's gone for good. The majority of people have abandoned it and migrations away from it have been faster than ever lately.

What was the problem at the other host?

Give it a try with us - we'll get it working smoothly for you.

Hello @FreddieA,

WHM/cPanel was slooow. Service not so good of the old hoster. This was a few versions back. We really like the way we can go in and out of the accounts inside one panel in Plesk. Also plesk can handle multiple shared IPs. My understanding is that WHM/cPanel can only have 1 shared IP addy.

I know you guys can do it but now I have to tell clients / developers we are changing :( the interface and that is usually not received very well. The only way I would consider the switch is to slowly switch over (move sites slowly) and giving developers / clients a chance to adapt slowly. So I would open another VPS and move stuff slowly over to the new WHM/cPanel system. One of the issues here is how to handle the DNS (NSx, NSy, etc...). Can two VPS have the same / share DNS set up?

Your input appreciated.

R

Hello @FreddieA,

WHM/cPanel was slooow. Service not so good of the old hoster. This was a few versions back. We really like the way we can go in and out of the accounts inside one panel in Plesk. Also plesk can handle multiple shared IPs. My understanding is that WHM/cPanel can only have 1 shared IP addy.

I know you guys can do it but now I have to tell clients / developers we are changing :( the interface and that is usually not received very well. The only way I would consider the switch is to slowly switch over (move sites slowly) and giving developers / clients a chance to adapt slowly. So I would open another VPS and move stuff slowly over to the new WHM/cPanel system. One of the issues here is how to handle the DNS (NSx, NSy, etc...). Can two VPS have the same / share DNS set up?

Your input appreciated.

R

Sure, cPanel fully supports clustered DNS.

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/Guide+to+DNS+Cluster+Configurations

Hello @Jonathan,

Well maybe I cannot do what I envisioned which is open a WHM/cPanel along side my plesk system use the same DNS setup and migrate slowly to WHM/cPanel.

So what you are saying is I have to set up a separate DNS for the WHM/cPanel and do the slow migration.

Technically they could be wrangled together to all play together I think. Having cPanel already hosting DNS for not-yet-moved systems might cause some issues/conflicts when you go to actually create the account.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is to make the move all at once. We'll give you some ways to test sites and such before flipping DNS so you can do some verification.

Technically they could be wrangled together to all play together I think. Having cPanel already hosting DNS for not-yet-moved systems might cause some issues/conflicts when you go to actually create the account.

The best thing to do in a situation like this is to make the move all at once. We'll give you some ways to test sites and such before flipping DNS so you can do some verification.

Hello @Johnathan,

The VPS Plesk system also has multiple shared IP addresses. I understand that cPanel can only handle 1 shared IP address.

You can create a reseller account with a dedicated IP then use that reseller account's IP and share it to other accounts. Not, a clean solution but it works.

You got to be kidding me. No Plesk? I have really liked KH but this is most likely a deal breaker.
Why are people abandoning it? I work both but IMHPO, Plesk is much better at doing a few things I, as a developer, like and do frequently.
FI, I much, much prefer building out a new site/subdomain, outside the folder of the existing. So much cleaner, and I would think more secure. But, there are many others. The interface for developer and customer is much better in Plesk. (Yes, I hate hitting the back/home button every time)

Yeah, I dislike the whole subdomain in the main directory deal cPanel does, but I would rather have all my teeth pulled than use Plesk to be honest. :)

I've never seen a main upgrade go smoothly with Plesk - there's always random errors caused by it.

I agree with earlier versions, but no issue with 11 to 12 on all providers. Now if I just can figure out why I can't get a temp address to show with Cpanel.... Grrr. 1 hour gone for free. Not happy KH.

Temp URLs don't work when using mod_RUID2 which is part of our default setup as it outperforms the other handlers. Temp URLs don't play nice with things like WP .htaccess files anyway so it's generally recommended to modify your local hosts file to test things.

We're in the office now if you need our help. Just submit a ticket and we'll get you working.

Thank you Jonathan for the quick reply as I am really starting to get upset here. I cannot ask my clients to do this. A) With some of my clients, copy and paste is an advanced function whether they are on a MAC or Windows machine, B) In this case, there are three entities involved including the Forest Service and a high-end prep school. 8 people in all. And I am pretty sure that they may not be allowed to do this, or at the best, be a hassle. This is never an issue with Plesk and one reason I am upset that I can no longer get Plesk and possibly looking down the road to having to switch all the servers to this.