CentOS 6

Sherrie

Hello

I logged into WHM today and noticed it had been upgraded and is now recommending CentOS 6 (current 5.11) to make full use of new cPanel and WHM features. I haven't done much poking around yet but I noticed with CentOS 6 I can upgrade to MariaDB within WHM.

What would you recommend?

Well, to be honest, I wouldn't jump straight to CentOS 6 just yet. We are internally testing and messing with CentoS 7 with cPanel, so that will be out in the next bit. CentOS 5 doesn't go End of Life until 2017.

It's something to think about and keep on your radar yes, but I would say it would be better if coming from Cent5 to just make the jump to Cent7 when it comes out.

Thanks for your reply is there an ETA for 7? :)

In a perfect world, this week hopefully. cPanel went to release on it right as we started cranking up virtualization platform upgrades/migrations so the staff that normally work on our templates are tied up with getting that rolling. Hoping for this week or next, won't be long.

cPanel is still working out some kinks as people find them so not having it yet will only benefit KH customers ;)

So I'm a little confused (doesn't take much these days). Will the transitions to OpenVZ include an OS upgrade? Or is that something as a VPS owner that I do myself? Or is that something we rely on you to do? I imagine its not something that happens automatically, but would need to be asked for.

I'm not looking to make the jump to a new OS anytime soon. I like the idea of being able to not have to buy a new IP address every time a client wants an SSL cert on their account, and from what I've read CentOS 6 can do that with SNI (although I do understand it has some limitations...).

Anywho, just looking to get some clarity! Thank you.

So I'm a little confused (doesn't take much these days). Will the transitions to OpenVZ include an OS upgrade? Or is that something as a VPS owner that I do myself? Or is that something we rely on you to do? I imagine its not something that happens automatically, but would need to be asked for.

My understanding is no, you would need to order a new package and migrate everything to a new VPS/Dedicated Server. KH would of course assist you but it's not as automated as the migration to OpenVZ and would require some work on your part.

My understanding is no, you would need to order a new package and migrate everything to a new VPS/Dedicated Server. KH would of course assist you but it's not as automated as the migration to OpenVZ and would require some work on your part.

This is correct. No system files will be changing during the VZ->OVZ migrations - it's just a back-end thing.

Minor OS upgrades (ie CentOS 6.1->6.2->6.3, etc.) are handled automatically by cPanel. Major upgrades (6->7) require a new VPS then migrating to it as in-place upgrades of major versions are not supported by CentOS or cPanel and even the unsupported paths of doing these are terribly buggy and I've never gotten them to even work.