PHP 5 upgrade

SonicGT

I just got my account set up last week, upgraded sql through cpanel but still have 4 of php. I was wanting to upgrade it to the latest 5.x can I do this through cpanel, or do I just do the normal download and install/compile info I find on the php website. If so do I have to do anything with apache afterwords to make it all work right?
Also looking to use APC cache rather than zend.
Any help is appreciated.

Hello Sonic,

WHM has a script built in for Apache/PHP management. You can run it from the command line as well but I'll just put a screenie here so you can see where it is and some of the options.

I have no idea if you can disable Zend. I've been using CPanel/WHM for a few years now and I have never seen where you could.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Attachments

• WHMcut.jpg
    WHMcut.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 33
Hello Sonic,

WHM has a script built in for Apache/PHP management. You can run it from the command line as well but I'll just put a screenie here so you can see where it is and some of the options.

I have no idea if you can disable Zend. I've been using CPanel/WHM for a few years now and I have never seen where you could.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Cool based on your screenshot I see what you can do, but can't seem to find how to get to that in cpanel/whm.
I checked the addon scripts and such and its just normal apps in there?
Which option is that in your screenshot

*edit* nevermind found it under apache update

Sonic,

This screen can be found at WHM >> Software >> Apache update. Two things about upgrade to PHP 5:
- Make sure to uncheck the "Skip Apache Build if up to date" option at the bottom of the screen. I've seen many cases when Apache fails to start after verrsion change due to missing / incompatible modules;
- If your php scripts will fail to work after upgrade to PHP 5 will be completed just go to that screen again, click on "Load Previous Config" button and make sure that "Php Module" checkbox is checked. If it isn't check the checkbox and start recompilation again.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks guys, up and running on 5.2.1 without issues :)

One question about cpanel information. I updated mysql to 5 via cpanel also, but in cpanel its still showing 4.1.21 in the general info on the left colum of cpanel. I know the latest is running whne I use phpmyadmin or the phpinfo command.

Hey there Sonic,

Glad to hear you got PHP upgraded and running :)

On MYSql, I upgraded it to 5 as well and in both WHM and CPanel it is showing that it's running at 5 although in CPanel it shows 5.0.24-standard and in WHM it's showing as 5.0.27-standard. Yours still showing 4 may be a caching problem or something?

Dan

Hey there Sonic,

Glad to hear you got PHP upgraded and running :)

On MYSql, I upgraded it to 5 as well and in both WHM and CPanel it is showing that it's running at 5 although in CPanel it shows 5.0.24-standard and in WHM it's showing as 5.0.27-standard. Yours still showing 4 may be a caching problem or something?

Dan

Not sure why its doing it. I mainly have 1 site thats the main site on my server, but have a couple smaller ones. I logged into on of the others cpanel and it shows correct, so its account specific.
Is there something I can do to refresh cpanel to grab this info?? I guess its not that big of a deal since I know I'm updated, but it just kind of bugs me, LOL

Not sure why its doing it. I mainly have 1 site thats the main site on my server, but have a couple smaller ones. I logged into on of the others cpanel and it shows correct, so its account specific.
Is there something I can do to refresh cpanel to grab this info?? I guess its not that big of a deal since I know I'm updated, but it just kind of bugs me, LOL

In case anyone else has the sql showing incorrect, I found how to fix it
this file contains the version info, just edit it or replace with a users that is correct as I did
/home/username/.cpanel-datastore/_usr_sbin_mysqld_--version