East Coast - Sites running very slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

For some reason over the last couple of days all my websites hosted at the East Coast data centre have been taking a while to load. Nothing has changed with what I'm running on the websites but clicking a link on them takes 10+ seconds to process the request.

Any information as to what could be happening?

Hi Neal,

Have you tried running a traceroute from where you are to one of the sites? Could be a switch between you and there running poorly? Checking one of your sites on Alertra.com could help answer this for you too.

Have you run top on your VPS to see if something is taking an exorbitant amount of CPU or memory?

Could also be a small scale DDoS too. Checking your modsecurity log (if you're running it) and running netstat -p might tell you something.

For some reason over the last couple of days all my websites hosted at the East Coast data centre have been taking a while to load. Nothing has changed with what I'm running on the websites but clicking a link on them takes 10+ seconds to process the request.

I'd recommend opening up a ticket. Right now there's no network issues so it sounds like the issue you're having is going to be something more isolated. Without being able to look up your account and see exactly what's going on I can't really give an answer here since it's nothing broad.

Worldwide industry leading VPS from US based KnownHost.

Last edited:

I'm having the exact same problem. I opened up a ticket a couple weeks ago and was told my port was only on 10Mbit. I got quite frustrated and told them to take off whatever throttles you have on there and just make it a normal 1Gbit port. The speeds did get better, but then a week later the slow speeds came back. I did create another ticket, I'm just waiting for a response. I'm on the East Coast as well, and my cheapo lowend box VPS's that I develop and test with are running better then my Knownhost package. I hope it is just a glitch or they actually find something because I wanted to start to implement some services on my account, but can't do it with such slow speeds. I just hope this doesn't mean I'll be opening up tickets every 2 weeks, since it has happened to me before. I must have went through 10 VPS companies and then landed on Knownhost and since they were fantastic signed up right away. I think this is the beginning of my third year, and at the beginning everything was great. Speeds were fantastic and of course when ever I used their support system was always very quick too. I'm sure it will work out, has to be something hindering the speeds.

I have been told KH may have found something and is working to resolve the issue.

Yes we've identified an issue with Level3 in our Baltimore bandwidth mix and are working with them (Level3) to resolve the issues. It's an issue on Level3's end.

Could this be effecting FTP at all? I get connection timed out errors and files are uploading slowly if it does connect, or it skips files completely as they fail when using FTP.

I've used the same settings for over 12 months with KnownHost but now i'm having to use SFTP as advised by Support which appears to be working.

Could this be effecting FTP at all? I get connection timed out errors and files are uploading slowly if it does connect, or it skips files completely as they fail when using FTP.

I've used the same settings for over 12 months with KnownHost but now i'm having to use SFTP as advised by Support which appears to be working.

No. There are no issues in our Baltimore facility, nor have there been. The network there is stable, fast, and consistent. I'm going to close this thread out as it's just causing confusion.

For any specific issues lets open new threads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.