What do you call...

Chimpie

domain.com/ThisPart
facebook.com/ThisPart
twitter.com/ThisPart

What do you call ThisPart of a domain?

I was chatting with a friend who has taken on a new role of social media manager for a real estate company. The company has a website, Twitter and Facebook accounts, but each are named differently. It got me thinking about what to call that. A moniker? A handle?

I know normally, for a regular domain, you would call it the path. But what about a general term?

Well from a technical perspective years ago it'd have always been a folder. These days they're often masked with htaccess-type redirects so it's more of an alias.

In the sense of Facebook/Twitter I'd call it the username I guess since that's what it is.

PHP considers this the query string assuming htaccess masks it to a ?= URL variable, accessible via $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']

If it is an actual folder/file PHP considers it the request URI accessible via $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']

domain.com/ThisPart
facebook.com/ThisPart
twitter.com/ThisPart

What do you call ThisPart of a domain?
[...]
I know normally, for a regular domain, you would call it the path. But what about a general term?

I can't honestly say that I've ever had a discussion or mentioned that part of the URL specifically with anyone. I would always call it a path or folder. Seems like there are some articles posted similarly about this.

Talk like a Googler: parts of a url
  • The path is /videoplay. Path typically refers to a file or location on the web server, e.g. /directory/file.html
Understanding a URL
  • Third part: resource ID (/accounts/csmlibrary/index.htm)The resource ID is the name of the file for the page and any directories or subdirectories under which it is stored on the specified computer. The resource ID for our library's homepage is: /accounts/csmlibrary/index.htm. (A "homepage" is the opening or main page for any web site that provides links to all of the other pages on the site.) The part of the resource ID after the last slash (/) is the file name for the specific page or other resource. The file name ends with a three or four letter designation that specifies the file type (e.g., .htm or .html for a standard Web page, .jpg or .gif for common graphic files.)
URL Schema

Thanks guys.
I can't honestly say that I've ever had a discussion or mentioned that part of the URL specifically with anyone.
I guess I shouldn't have included the domain.com/ThisPart because it's irrelevant. The brain to fingertips filter malfunctioned.

I always say "username" because it's part of what you use to login ... maybe there's an official technical term for it?