Windows Hosting Suggestions

Dave G

Good Day All

It's a long and sorted story but I have a customer who had a web site built, with out my knowledge, by someone else needles to say it requires a Windows server does any one have a suggestion for Windows hosting?

Thank You

Dave,

Unfortunately I don't really know anyone that does Windows hosting anymore. Everyone I knew that was in it got out of it...can't say I blame them.

Thanks Jonathan
I'm not sure I wanted to deal with a Windows server hosting web sites anyway.

Dion
Thanks for the link I don't think KH would mind if you suggested a host as they don't deal with a windows server.
I have contacted me customer, soon to be X customer, I gave them my alternatives and a windows server was not one of them, I'm to old :) to learn a new server software and I don't think they will/would be happy with the windows platform so best to let some one else take the headache, my guess they will be back.
Thanks

@Dave G Hi Dave. Provide us some more info. Why does it require a Windows server? What language/services does it require under Windows?

Let me guess, the site was written in .NET? (and if so, did you promptly smack them? ;))
Yep it would appear so here are is what the new site is built on :
Code:
http://www.sitefinity.com/resources/system-requirements

Just because the new site is currently on a Windows server doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be. So those specs don't really tell the full story. For example, I've developed php applications to work cross-platform on linux and windows servers using mysql or ms sql server.

How about a link to the website? May be able to tell just from the site, extentions, etc. if it requires a Windows server.

Yep it would appear so here are is what the new site is built on :
Code:
http://www.sitefinity.com/resources/system-requirements

Ewwww...Yik!

It is possible to get ASP.NET working in a Linux environment. I've read a few papers on how it could be done, but I remember thinking it was a convoluted pain in the you-know-what. That's one platform you couldn't pay me enough to touch!

Been there, done that, no thanks, I still have my t-shirt. ;)

Yes, you're absolutely right Nicki, but we've yet to even determine if the site is ASP.NET. If it is, then absolutely a Windows Server is the route to go. Dave said it would appear so, but I'd like to be sure first.

Just because the new site is currently on a Windows server doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be. So those specs don't really tell the full story. For example, I've developed php applications to work cross-platform on linux and windows servers using mysql or ms sql server.

How about a link to the website? May be able to tell just from the site, extentions, etc. if it requires a Windows server.
Though this now a moot point here is the link to the test site be sure to wait the minute or so it takes to load, at least in FireFox it does.
Code:
http://brymill.zagclients.net/

It's a mostly static website from what I can see. You could easily convert it to a bunch of plain old html pages. From a quick glance the only thing special is the contact form which would be easy to fix and get working on a linux box with a couple lines of php code.
If you wanted to make it so your client can have a back-end to make changes, the current site wouldn't be too difficult to convert to WordPress.

Though this now a moot point here is the link to the test site be sure to wait the minute or so it takes to load, at least in FireFox it does.
Code:
http://brymill.zagclients.net/

Taking a peek at the source, I see plenty of references to AXD files. That's ASP.NET for sure. Your client will need to either find another host, or a better platform.

Did they ever justify the need for ASP.NET/Windows? Or is it just what their designer uses/prefers?

Those AXD files just appear to produce static javascript files so unless they do something special they should be able to convert them to just js files. From the appearance of the website I see no reason it couldn't just be downloaded using something like httrack then fix the contact form and change the search at the top to use google. But, since Dave said it was a moot point, I'm guessing he's already found a host for a Win box.

Sorry for not getting back to all sooner.

From what I understand new site developer has created a CMS using the sitefinity software I guess my Joomla site I had created was to complicated for the new person, the owner's daughter, who is taking over the site management so she had, from what I understand a friend who works for Zag create a new site costing them $10's of 1,000's dollars Zag of course will be taking over the hosting I'll guarantee it will cost more than the $30.00/month I was charging.

Thanks for all your input.

php

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
You don't do custom Joomla template's do you if I supply a framework to build?