Xenforo Enhanced Search

Big Dan

Hi Folks,

I'll be moving a forum over to the XenForo platform later this year. One thing I'd like to do is is run Xenforo's Enhanced Search. This requires elastic search to constantly run on the server. Is installation of elastic search and keeping it running at all times something that would be covered under the scope of managed support?

I had XF and Enhanced search running on another board at a previous host. Even though their support set it up for me, Elastic Search would stop running for one reason or another and search would be unavailable on the forum until I manually logged in via ssh and restarted it. it seems they couldn't figure out how to keep ES running or automatically restart in the event of a crash. That's just unacceptable.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

Good choice moving to XF. We love it :)

We should be able to help install elastic search, but keeping it running wouldn't really be directly covered by management. It shouldn't crash unless something goes wrong, so I wouldn't foresee any issues with running it.

Sorry for the delay in reply. Does KnownHost offer admin services on an hourly basis for something like this?

I can install and and configure Elastic Search no problem. It's keeping it running that's my issue.

Sorry for the delay in reply. Does KnownHost offer admin services on an hourly basis for something like this?

I can install and and configure Elastic Search no problem. It's keeping it running that's my issue.
Dan, what kind of issues are you running into with ES? Now that my conversion to KH is done I was looking at getting ES installed to use with XF.

Dan, what kind of issues are you running into with ES? Now that my conversion to KH is done I was looking at getting ES installed to use with XF.
I'm not running ES yet. On a previous VPS with another host, ES would just stop running from time to time which meant search was unavailable until I logged in via SSH and manually restarted it.

I know nothing about XF or Elastic Search but couldn't a cron job be setup to restart ES say every 6 or 12 hours?