Hosting...questions....

opentoe

I'm not new to Linux or the command line, or control panels and the hosting world but new to how VPS works. I just signed up. For the example I'll use fake domains.

I have a domain on a hosting service I want to transfer over to my VPS. This domain is called 123.com. Now, when I signed up with the VPS I was thinking I can sign up with any domain, and then just just add my domain 123.com. Is that how and what most people do? Or when they sign up with the VPS they actually use 123.com on the sign up sheet. I was under the impression that I can use any domain to sign up, and then add the domain I wanted via my WHM, then control that domain with the control panel. The real domain I want hosting is abc.com. So I'll just log into my WHM and create the domain abc.com and then do what I need via the control panel to run that domain, right?

Now, what if I want and need to use the domain 123.com as a mail server and host some web pages also. Do I also need to create that domain as a user on my VPS? Do you know what I mean? I signed up with Knownhost using this domain, 123.com and want to host this domain as well, do I create a new user/domain via WHM so I can access the cpanel for that domain?

I know this sounds a little weird, but hopefully someone will understand what I'm asking. I'm just trying to see if I setup the main VPS with the correct domain/settings, that's all.

Hello,

That sounds about right.

You can technically setup your VPS for the first time using any domain, and this can also be changed at a later date.

Once your VPS is active simply access WHM from the IP and create the accounts for the domains you would like to use.

So in your example you would create an account for 123.com and abc.com once that's done all that's left to do is determine if your going to use external DNS servers (such as ones provided by your domain registrar) or use your servers DNS. If you use your servers DNS it's as simple as registering those nameservers to point to IP's on your VPS and then changing the domains to point to those registrars.

Let us know if you have any more questions or feel free to open a support ticket also!

Lightning Fast SSD VPS packages from US-based KnownHost.

Hello,

That sounds about right.

You can technically setup your VPS for the first time using any domain, and this can also be changed at a later date.

Once your VPS is active simply access WHM from the IP and create the accounts for the domains you would like to use.

So in your example you would create an account for 123.com and abc.com once that's done all that's left to do is determine if your going to use external DNS servers (such as ones provided by your domain registrar) or use your servers DNS. If you use your servers DNS it's as simple as registering those nameservers to point to IP's on your VPS and then changing the domains to point to those registrars.

Let us know if you have any more questions or feel free to open a support ticket also!

Thanks for the response. I just wanted to make sure I was following the right process. I was able to set things and working, so I'll be checking some more things out. Once again, thank you.