SSL SHA-1 End of Life

Shawn McNair

Hey Yall,
I use cheap namecheap SSL's and just got a warning from them I thought may help. I'm sure I'm not the only one who got the warning but just in case. Especially when your wondering why your site is flagged Not Safe to customers.

In a nut shell SHA-1 is being depreciated and you need to reassign your certs... I use PositiveSSL so not sure what other "camps" are doing.

Quote:
This message is to inform you that all certificates activated and reissued from Namecheap will be signed by SHA-2 by default, starting November 6, 2014.

The reason is that the SHA-1 hashing algorithm is being deprecated by most Certificate Authorities. Please review this article for detailed information.

Starting in November 2014, SHA-1 will be gradually sunset by Google. Thus, we strongly suggest that anyone using SSL certificates signed with SHA-1 reissue their certificates from Namecheap account panel as soon as possible.

If you are not sure whether you SSL certificate is signed by SHA-1 or SHA-2, check our KB Article for a tool to check this./

Good Day!