Apache 2.4 vs 2.2

WebEndev

Hello,

I have Apache 2.2.26 running currently and I was contemplating updating to 2.4.x version.

Does anyone have any experience with performance increase or decrease between the versions?

Thanks

We actually ran 2.4 on this very forum server for a little while. I didn't notice much change as far as performance goes either way, seemed about the same.

It is supposed to handle very busy servers much better, but there's evidence supporting both sides of that argument so it's really hard to say.

Hi Jonathan,

It is supposed to handle very busy servers much better, but there's evidence supporting both sides of that argument so it's really hard to say.

Yes, that's what I've seen also. It seems logical that we should all move to 2.4 because 2.2 will eventually sunset...
But I don't want a performance hit. :)

We actually ran 2.4 on this very forum server for a little while

So you aren't still on 2.4 now?

Thanks

Actually yes it is still on 2.4. I thought I'd swapped us back to 2.2 a while back while debugging something but I guess I then put us back to 2.4.

It's worth mentioning that I've not come across any issues with it that have been directly from Apache 2.4 in the past several months that we've been running it.

Good to hear you haven't had any issues. I would be specifically concerned with 2.4 vs 2.2 performance with WordPress sites. That kind of info is not out there though.

Thanks for the information :)

That's going to be more dependent upon PHP than Apache. In the end, I doubt you'll see anything noticeable from the upgrade, and downgrading is simple. I'd say go for it and give it a shot honestly.

Most still run 2.2 but we have a few here and there that run 2.4 - but that's only folks we get a lot of tickets from. Overall I'd expect 15-20% run it if I had to guess.

Off the topic but -

What about mySQL 5.1.x vs 5.5.x (I'm on 5.1.70)? I hear on one side that 5.5 is slightly faster, but only if you configure it properly (not leave it at the default install)? I read that tweaking 5.5 for multicore processors is only where it will perform better?

Do you guys tweak 5.5 for us? :)

5.5 > 5.1 every time. No real config tweaks are needed going from one to the other. The tweaks that are important all surround the amount of available resources and the types of queries that your sites run.

If you're still on 5.1 I'd definitely advise upgrading.

Ok. I'm putting in a ticket for Apache 2.4 and mySQL 5.5.

Crossing my fingers that my server survives ... lol

Just a follow up...

I updated to mySQL 5.5 and all is well. I really don't have a way to benchmark any performance with WordPress sites, but I certainly don't see any measurable slowdown.

I am holding off on the Apache 2.4 update. Waiting for 2.4 to mature a bit more ...